Overloaded plug socket sparks Accrington house blaze

Overloaded plug socket sparks Accrington house blaze

Overloaded plug socket sparks Accrington house blaze

First published in News This Is Lancashire: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

FIRE crews battled a blaze in an Accrington kitchen this afternoon.

Crews from Hyndburn and Rawtenstall were called to the property in Timber Street shortly before 2pm.

The kitchen sustained extensive fire damage with the lounge sustaining severe smoke and heat damage.

The remainder of the property sustained moderate smoke damage.

A fire service spokesman said: “On arrival crews were met by the owner who stated the kitchen was on fire, the fire was near the fridge.

“Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and found the kitchen well alight.

“A hose reel was used to extinguish the fire.

“The occupier was initially alerted by the smell of smoke, as she opened the kitchen door to investigate, flames and smoke were visible beneath the fridge, as the occupier attempted to move the fridge the flames intensified.

“It would appear the fire stated due to an overloaded plug socket, and spread due to the decoration within the kitchen.”

An ambulance was called for the occupier as a precaution due to smoke inhalation.

A working smoke alarm was fitted within the property.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree