Scores evacuated from Deane road after gas leak
SCORES of people were evacuated from their homes because of a gas leak in Deane.
National Grid staff were fitting a new meter at a house in Gilnow Road at about 11am when a connection was accidentally damaged and gas began to leak from the supply.
Police and firefighters were immediately called and as a precaution a cordon was set up in the road and about 40 houses were evacuated.
National Grid specialist staff then dug up the road and were able to isolate the gas supply to avoid any danger.
During the cordon, residents were able to rest and use facilities in the nearby Pikes Lane school before being allowed back into their houses at 1pm after firefighters had checked every house within the cordon for signs of the leak.
Comments are closed on this article.