Opening of controversial sculpture centre is 'one of the most momentous occasions in history of museum'

This Is Lancashire: Art on display at the new sculpture centre Art on display at the new sculpture centre

THE opening of Bury’s new sculpture centre has been hailed as one of the most “momentous occasions” in more than a century of exhibition history at the town’s Art Museum.

The comments came in a speech by the Mayor of Bury, Cllr Sharon Briggs, who carried out the opening ceremony last Friday.

Among the VIPs who attended the event, which coincided with the borough’s fourth Text Festival, were guest speakers Greville Worthington, chairman of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, and Brian Ashley, the Arts Council’s national director for libraries.

Guests were entertained by a quartet from Chetham’s School of Music.

The new sculpture centre, in Bury Library, covers 306 square metres. As part of the drive for culture to support the local economy, the centre will host a number of international festivals and a conference in 2014, aimed at bringing the best in international art to local audiences and cultural tourists.

More than 60 international artists will take part in the Text Festival between now and July, including an exhibition by internationally renowned artist Lawrence Weiner. It centres on contemporary language art incorporating poetry, text art, sound and media text, and live art.

Cllr Briggs told the gathering: “Building on Bury’s best international practice, the new space will showcase global contemporary sculpture for local audiences and visitors interested in the latest developments in art.

“The launch of Bury sculpture centre is one of the most momentous occasions in more than 100 years of exhibition history at Bury Art Museum.

“This evening is the perfect opportunity for us to celebrate this achievement.”

Mr Worthington said: “There is an established network of sculpture across the north of England, including the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, the Hepworth Gallery, Wakefield, and the Henry Moore Foundation, Leeds.

“It is fantastic that the new Bury sculpture centre is now a part of that and to open with a show by such an important artist as Lawrence Weiner is an achievement for the team.”

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:34pm Fri 9 May 14

michaeljohnhughes says...

Definition of Art
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power:

"WATER MADE IT WET"
Creative skill?
Imagination?
Beauty?
Emotional Power?

I suppose Art is in the mind of the creator and in the eye of the beholder
Definition of Art The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power: "WATER MADE IT WET" Creative skill? Imagination? Beauty? Emotional Power? I suppose Art is in the mind of the creator and in the eye of the beholder michaeljohnhughes
  • Score: 3

2:39pm Fri 9 May 14

michaeljohnhughes says...

Definition of ART
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power:

"WATER MADE IT WET"

Creative skill?
Imagination?
Beauty?
Emotional power?

I suppose Art is in the mind of the creator and in the eye of the beholder
Definition of ART The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power: "WATER MADE IT WET" Creative skill? Imagination? Beauty? Emotional power? I suppose Art is in the mind of the creator and in the eye of the beholder michaeljohnhughes
  • Score: 1

8:57pm Fri 9 May 14

Astronette says...

Dirt's not dirt unless it's dirty.

The emporer's new clothes anyone?

As Andy Warhol said "Art is what you can get away with..."

PS. they got rid of the books for this?.....
Dirt's not dirt unless it's dirty. The emporer's new clothes anyone? As Andy Warhol said "Art is what you can get away with..." PS. they got rid of the books for this?..... Astronette
  • Score: 15

9:32pm Fri 9 May 14

Crispy69 says...

Oh my, what an absolute waste of space. I'm sure the wonderfull councillors who approved this foolish nonsense are loving it, I'm so glad it makes THEM happy.
Oh my, what an absolute waste of space. I'm sure the wonderfull councillors who approved this foolish nonsense are loving it, I'm so glad it makes THEM happy. Crispy69
  • Score: 11

10:16pm Fri 9 May 14

Helen305 says...

After visiting the new sculpture centre today, the first thing I did was walk out and ask the man at the desk when the sculptures were arriving. When he told me that the words on the walls were the sculptures, I was dumbfounded. Apparently this is in honour of a text festival. The sheer irony of getting rid of thousands of books in favour of a few lines on a wall for a text festival depresses me. It is two vast empty rooms, where once there was a thriving, valued, well used and well loved library that was the hub of a community. Why was this allowed to happen? Very sad.
After visiting the new sculpture centre today, the first thing I did was walk out and ask the man at the desk when the sculptures were arriving. When he told me that the words on the walls were the sculptures, I was dumbfounded. Apparently this is in honour of a text festival. The sheer irony of getting rid of thousands of books in favour of a few lines on a wall for a text festival depresses me. It is two vast empty rooms, where once there was a thriving, valued, well used and well loved library that was the hub of a community. Why was this allowed to happen? Very sad. Helen305
  • Score: 19

4:19am Sat 10 May 14

Shane says...

Lawrence Weiner. Is that this the same Lawrence Weiner of "Water In Milk exists"? Not someone I suggest BMBC really want associated with the new Center?
Lawrence Weiner. Is that this the same Lawrence Weiner of "Water In Milk exists"? Not someone I suggest BMBC really want associated with the new Center? Shane
  • Score: 9

6:02pm Sat 10 May 14

North Manor says...

Yet another example of a small number of the artistic and cultural elite getting one over on the masses.
Surely, it is the duty of the Council to meet the artistic and cultural needs of the good folk of Bury. How about starting with putting effort into sorting out the issue of being able to read the library's ebooks on a Kindle?
Yet another example of a small number of the artistic and cultural elite getting one over on the masses. Surely, it is the duty of the Council to meet the artistic and cultural needs of the good folk of Bury. How about starting with putting effort into sorting out the issue of being able to read the library's ebooks on a Kindle? North Manor
  • Score: 8

9:19pm Sat 10 May 14

Babbar Divino says...

Shane wrote:
Lawrence Weiner. Is that this the same Lawrence Weiner of "Water In Milk exists"? Not someone I suggest BMBC really want associated with the new Center?
Oh dear, I wonder if Mr Trehy told the Mayor and Mayoress that Mr Weiner is involved in ****, good take Shane, pardon the pun.

"But wait", says Mr Trehy, "Water in Milk is art!".

Not from the bits I saw, again no pun intended, pure **** for all persuasions may I add. Although I tell you what, if they show this "art" they will certainly get folk into the Sculpture Centre, although they will have to insist they leave their macs at the door.
[quote][p][bold]Shane[/bold] wrote: Lawrence Weiner. Is that this the same Lawrence Weiner of "Water In Milk exists"? Not someone I suggest BMBC really want associated with the new Center?[/p][/quote]Oh dear, I wonder if Mr Trehy told the Mayor and Mayoress that Mr Weiner is involved in ****, good take Shane, pardon the pun. "But wait", says Mr Trehy, "Water in Milk is art!". Not from the bits I saw, again no pun intended, pure **** for all persuasions may I add. Although I tell you what, if they show this "art" they will certainly get folk into the Sculpture Centre, although they will have to insist they leave their macs at the door. Babbar Divino
  • Score: 7

9:21pm Sat 10 May 14

Babbar Divino says...

Should of realised that "P0rn0graphy" was a censored word.
Should of realised that "P0rn0graphy" was a censored word. Babbar Divino
  • Score: 3

10:16pm Sat 10 May 14

Babbar Divino says...

There are so many double entendres, puns etc. in this story even the leading photo is a "guffaw" moment. This really should be taken up by the #redtops.

Perhaps this is a stroke of genius by the BMBC media team, again no pun intended, but genius and BMBC shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

#dailymail #thesun #dailystar #whereisthenewsofthe
worldwhenyouneedthem #sundaypeople #sundaymail
There are so many double entendres, puns etc. in this story even the leading photo is a "guffaw" moment. This really should be taken up by the #redtops. Perhaps this is a stroke of genius by the BMBC media team, again no pun intended, but genius and BMBC shouldn't be used in the same sentence. #dailymail #thesun #dailystar #whereisthenewsofthe worldwhenyouneedthem #sundaypeople #sundaymail Babbar Divino
  • Score: 5

12:08pm Sun 11 May 14

backwater7249 says...

It has about as much charisma as Mr Trehys' brain!

The Council should be congratulated on making yet another mess of their valuable assets!
It has about as much charisma as Mr Trehys' brain! The Council should be congratulated on making yet another mess of their valuable assets! backwater7249
  • Score: 9

5:40pm Sun 11 May 14

hello sweetie says...

Shame on Brian Ashley, the Arts Council’s national director for libraries who attended the opening.
I think it's safe to say Trehy doesn't want us plebs to enjoy or understand this sculpture centre. He would probably think it a failure if it were full of admiring local folk.
Since the sale of the Lowry painting it's gradually become clear which direction the gallery/museum/sculp
ture centre wants to head; vast empty spaces that are not for the likes of us.
I think I'll stick to Bolton and Manchester museums.
Shame on Brian Ashley, the Arts Council’s national director for libraries who attended the opening. I think it's safe to say Trehy doesn't want us plebs to enjoy or understand this sculpture centre. He would probably think it a failure if it were full of admiring local folk. Since the sale of the Lowry painting it's gradually become clear which direction the gallery/museum/sculp ture centre wants to head; vast empty spaces that are not for the likes of us. I think I'll stick to Bolton and Manchester museums. hello sweetie
  • Score: 8

11:13pm Sun 11 May 14

icannotrace says...

Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.
Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere. icannotrace
  • Score: 6

8:21am Mon 12 May 14

North Manor says...

icannotrace wrote:
Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.
Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'.
[quote][p][bold]icannotrace[/bold] wrote: Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.[/p][/quote]Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'. North Manor
  • Score: 6

12:51pm Mon 12 May 14

buckfeed17 says...

Couldn't help notice Mayoress Shirley Rabbitt's neck jewellery. Hope you get the neck brace off asap. Get well soon ha
Couldn't help notice Mayoress Shirley Rabbitt's neck jewellery. Hope you get the neck brace off asap. Get well soon ha buckfeed17
  • Score: 4

8:59pm Mon 12 May 14

Babbar Divino says...

North Manor wrote:
icannotrace wrote:
Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.
Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'.
And here I was thinking that Mr Trehy and BMBC couldn't organise a happy ending in a house of ill repute. Good thinking icannotrace and well spotted North Manor and a very well done to both Mr Trehy and BMBC, brilliant idea. Good luck with the "Indecency Quarter".

Can't help feeling that the Sol Viva building shouldn't of been condemned. This would of been perfect converted back to a cinema where they could of played blue movies 24 x 7!

What next. Will we see all Bury Market stall holders going nude?
[quote][p][bold]North Manor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]icannotrace[/bold] wrote: Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.[/p][/quote]Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'.[/p][/quote]And here I was thinking that Mr Trehy and BMBC couldn't organise a happy ending in a house of ill repute. Good thinking icannotrace and well spotted North Manor and a very well done to both Mr Trehy and BMBC, brilliant idea. Good luck with the "Indecency Quarter". Can't help feeling that the Sol Viva building shouldn't of been condemned. This would of been perfect converted back to a cinema where they could of played blue movies 24 x 7! What next. Will we see all Bury Market stall holders going nude? Babbar Divino
  • Score: 5

11:09pm Mon 12 May 14

Lancs - pensioner says...

Babbar Divino wrote:
North Manor wrote:
icannotrace wrote:
Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.
Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'.
And here I was thinking that Mr Trehy and BMBC couldn't organise a happy ending in a house of ill repute. Good thinking icannotrace and well spotted North Manor and a very well done to both Mr Trehy and BMBC, brilliant idea. Good luck with the "Indecency Quarter".

Can't help feeling that the Sol Viva building shouldn't of been condemned. This would of been perfect converted back to a cinema where they could of played blue movies 24 x 7!

What next. Will we see all Bury Market stall holders going nude?
I'd like to see Gondolas on the Irwell with naked Gondoliers punting fornicating couples up and down
[quote][p][bold]Babbar Divino[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]North Manor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]icannotrace[/bold] wrote: Haha. I think the only international conferences and exhibitions that this place will attract is Sexpo. Bury will fast become the adult entertainment capital of the Northern Hemisphere.[/p][/quote]Really? If Bury becomes the Sin City of the UK, all that revenue might lead to a zero Council Tax rate! The new 'Indecency Quarter' could be part of Mr Trehy's so called 'Culture Quarter'.[/p][/quote]And here I was thinking that Mr Trehy and BMBC couldn't organise a happy ending in a house of ill repute. Good thinking icannotrace and well spotted North Manor and a very well done to both Mr Trehy and BMBC, brilliant idea. Good luck with the "Indecency Quarter". Can't help feeling that the Sol Viva building shouldn't of been condemned. This would of been perfect converted back to a cinema where they could of played blue movies 24 x 7! What next. Will we see all Bury Market stall holders going nude?[/p][/quote]I'd like to see Gondolas on the Irwell with naked Gondoliers punting fornicating couples up and down Lancs - pensioner
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree