THE mother of a toddler learning to potty train had to call for help from firefighters — after her son got it stuck over his head.
Firefighters were called to Bayley Court in Halliwell after the potty became lodged around the face of Layton Kennington, aged 18 months.
Mother Leanne Urmston, aged 26, said: “I was in the kitchen and he walked in with it on his head.
"I just couldn’t get it off, it was so tight below his ears. He started panicking then I started panicking.
"The potty was cutting into his ears and he was stuck for about half an hour.
"My friend was over and she told me to call the fire service.
"She was in stitches crying with laughter, but Layton was getting upset and didn’t understand what was going on.
“A fire engine came quickly with four firefighters. I just wanted it off - I was more upset than Layton.”
When the distressed Miss Urmston, a full-time mother, called window cleaner Ian Kennington, aged 28, the father of their children, he thought she was joking.
Firefighters distracted Layton with toys while using shears to cut through the plastic potty.
The incident happened at about 3.30pm this afternoon.
Miss Urmston said she did not want to call out the firefighters but was unable to remove the potty herself.
She said: “The firefighters were really nice to him. Afterwards we were all laughing but I was in shock for ages.
"Layton likes Fireman Sam but he was that shook up he didn’t see the fire engine.”
She said she was relieved her eldest son Aidan, aged 10, was at school, because he would have worried, and relieved her five-month-old daughter Sienna, was soundly asleep upstairs.
Neil Mercer, watch manager at Bolton Central Fire Station, said: “Layton got the potty stuck on his head and couldn’t get it off. Once we got there he was released from the potty within two to three minutes.
“I have never had anything like that before in more than 20 years.
"It is the first potty over the head I have dealt with. It is normally kids getting arms or legs stuck behind radiators.”
Last year two-year-old Layton Walton, of Lydbrook Close, Bolton, was rescued by firefighters after getting his head stuck in a child’s Mickey Mouse toilet seat after putting it on like a hat.