THREE yobs set upon a 62-year-old in a gratuitously violent street robbery compared to a horrific movie scene, a court heard.

The gang stole only keys and a bus pass from Joseph Grebski, who suffered a broken leg in the attack and now walks with a stick.

Derek Lockley, aged 18, and two other yobs, waded into Mr Grebski as he waited for a bus near to McDonalds in Knowsley Street at 10.30pm on August 30.

Robert Elias, prosecuting at Bolton Crown Court, said Mr Grebski also suffered bruising and swollen eyes after being attacked by Lockley, Jordan Greer, aged 22, and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Mr Elias said two “good Samaritans” got off a bus and came to his rescue, finding him “bleeding and confused”.

Just hours later, in the early hours of the next day, Lockley, Greer and a third unknown man, set about their second victim, Michael Sighe, who was withdrawing crash near to Newport Street.

Greer made threats to stab and shoot Mr Sighe and he was punched in the face and kicked.

He suffered a suspected broken nose, double vision and black eyes. They fled with £50 cash, a wallet and a mobile phone.

Lockley and Greer, both of Duke Street, in Bolton town centre, were arrested in Bradshawgate shortly after.

Stephen Teasdale, defending, said Lockley got involved in the robberies after moving to a hostel for homeless people after a fall out with his family.

The court also heard he has used a colostomy bag since he was a child due to suffering from kidney failure and underwent a kidney transplant four years ago.

Mr Teasdale said he was remorseful for his actions and was keen to further his education with a horticulture or painting and decorating course on his release.

Lockley, who admitted two counts of robbery, had a previous conviction for theft and battery.

Judge Elliot Knopf, sentencing, said: “This was gratuitous violence — violence for violence sake — because Mr Grebski had nothing. All of this was for keys and bus pass. It beggars belief.

“It was scenes of a horrific movie one has seen in the past. But this was not fiction this was real life.”

Lockley was sentenced to five years in a Young Offenders’ Institution for the robbery in Knowsley Street and two years for the robbery near Newport Street.

Greer was jailed earlier this week to nine-and-a-half years for the two robberies and the 17-year-old was jailed for six years for one robbery.