Banned driver fled Blackburn crash scene
5:00pm Thursday 20th March 2014 in News
A BLOOD-covered man seen running away from a collision in Accrington Road, Blackburn, on Monday left behind a seriously injured 15-year-old boy.
Blackburn magistrates heard the boy had been taken to hospital locally but then taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital with swelling in his head.
The court was also told that one police officer who saw the car being driven by Stephen Hunter seconds before the collision put his speed at 70 mph but the officer who reported on the collision said the other vehicle pulled out on Hunter,.
Hunter, 25, of Thornton Close, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified and failing to stop after an accident.
He was remanded on bail for the preparation of a pre-sentence report with a warning that all options including custody would be open to the sentencing bench. Catherine Allan, prosecuting, said Hunter was banned as a result of a conviction for dangerous driving and driving while disqualified which had resulted in an 18 month prison sentence.
She said he had bought the car he was driving for £500 just two days before the accident.
Miss Allan said the driver of the other vehicle and her passenger were both taken to hospital with neck injuries.
Simon Farnsworth, defending, said although a serious accident had been caused it was not by the defendant.
“The prosecution papers put the blame for the accident on the driver of the VW Beetle,” said Mr Farnsworth. “It is significant that my client is not charged with driving without due care and attention or dangerous driving.”
He said Hunter had bought the car with a view to selling it. He had been let down by a friend who said he would drive it home.