Family's lucky escape from carbon monoxide death

Yasmin Patel, centre, with Fatimah, Muhammad, Ahmed and Anas front

Yasmin Patel, centre, with Fatimah, Muhammad, Ahmed and Anas front

First published in News

A FAMILY have spoken of their miracle escape from a carbon monoxide leak at their home.

Yusuf and Yasmin Patel, who are now staying with family in Bolton, collapsed after a faulty boiler pumped the lethal gas through their home in Railway Grove, Little Harwood, Blackburn.

Two of their sons, 15-year-old Muhammad and 14-year-old Anas, passed out.

Brother and sister Ahmed, aged 18, and Fatimah, aged 12, escaped the worst of the fumes and were praised for alerting the emergency services on Saturday afternoon.

Ahmed said Sunday’s Blackburn-Burnley derby had inadvertedly saved his family’s lives.

The Rovers employee and Blackburn College student said: “If we had been playing on the Saturday, I would have left for the stadium at noon, and my family could have been killed.”

Mrs Patel, a teaching assistant, said she was cleaning the oven when she began to feel dizzy, as did Mohammed and Anas.

She said: “I went for a lie down, and the next thing I knew the paramedics were waking me up. We all felt tired and we all went to sleep.”

Council worker Mr Patel added: “I got back from shopping and said I would carry on with the work. I started to feel tired and sat down.

“And that was it. We are very lucky.”

Ahmed, who had been in the front room, said he found his family collapsed on the floor in the dining room, around the same time Fatimah arrived home after playing out.

One firefighter who was among the first to arrive said it was "like Armageddon", with bodies sprawled around the back room.

The family were taken to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

After being discharged, they decided to stay with family in Bolton while their boiler is repaired and checked.

Carbon monoxide is both colourless and odourless and can cause those affected to initially suffer dizziness, nausea and lead to collapse and even death.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:25am Tue 11 Mar 14

oftbewildered2 says...

I know the Fire & Rescue Service have a campaign for everyone to have a smoke alarm - perhaps they can tag on carbon monoxide alarms too; a silent killer and this could be avoided by the expenditure of a small amount of money (and remembering to replace the batteries too). This family was so lucky - it could have been so different.
I know the Fire & Rescue Service have a campaign for everyone to have a smoke alarm - perhaps they can tag on carbon monoxide alarms too; a silent killer and this could be avoided by the expenditure of a small amount of money (and remembering to replace the batteries too). This family was so lucky - it could have been so different. oftbewildered2
  • Score: 19

4:11pm Tue 11 Mar 14

I, Ludicrous says...

Looking lovely there, Yasmin Patel in the middle.
Looking lovely there, Yasmin Patel in the middle. I, Ludicrous
  • Score: 2

6:22pm Tue 11 Mar 14

boltonnut says...

I, Ludicrous wrote:
Looking lovely there, Yasmin Patel in the middle.
Carbon monoxide alarms and gas masks save lives.
[quote][p][bold]I, Ludicrous[/bold] wrote: Looking lovely there, Yasmin Patel in the middle.[/p][/quote]Carbon monoxide alarms and gas masks save lives. boltonnut
  • Score: 1

12:18am Thu 13 Mar 14

BoltonLancs says...

Yasmin had better have been wearing her niqab when the firefighters arrived, just in case they gazed lustfully at her whilst rescuing her from certain death...
give me strength...!!!
Yasmin had better have been wearing her niqab when the firefighters arrived, just in case they gazed lustfully at her whilst rescuing her from certain death... give me strength...!!! BoltonLancs
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree