THE family of a Bolton man shot dead by police have spoken of their heartbreak and frustration on the second anniversary of his death.

Father-of-two Anthony Grainger, aged 36, died after he was shot in the chest during what Greater Manchester Police said was a “pre-planned operation” by firearms officers in Culcheth, near Leigh, on March 3, 2012.

An investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission into the shooting of Mr Grainger, of Deane Church Lane, was completed last summer and the findings were passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the coroner, but there has been no further legal action.

In a statement released by solicitors on behalf of Mr Grainger’s mother and stepfather, Marina and John Schofield, the couple say the last two years have been a “terrible ordeal” for his family.

“Not only have we had the heartbreaking loss of Anthony, but they have also had to contend with the frustrations and delays of the legal process.

“Two years on, we know little more than we did on the day Anthony was shot.

“The role of the IPCC must be seriously called into question.

“There have been repeated delays in the finalisation and disclosure of the IPCC report and in maintaining its integrity once disclosed.

“We only eventually received the report last some 18 months after the initial promise was made.

“Even now, the only information the family have been given in relation to Anthony’s death is a copy of the preliminary IPCC report.”

The statement says Mr and Mrs Schofield remain “absolutely determined” to ensure the facts leading up to Mr Grainger’s death will be made public.

GMP chief constable Sir Peter Fahy has been charged by the CPS over health and safety breaches.

Meanwhile, the family have made it clear they wish strongly to disassociate themselves from the widely publicised “Justice for Grainger” campaign and emphasise those behind the campaign are not representative of his close family.

Three men accused of plotting a robbery with Mr Grainger were cleared of all charges after a trial in Manchester in September, 2012.