More cuts may hit Darwen Live music festival
4:10pm Thursday 27th February 2014 in News
COUNCIL chiefs have warned that cuts to local government funding could see a reduction in its financial support for the annual Darwen Live music festival.
Blackburn with Darwen executive member for leisure Coun Damian Talbot said the borough was having to review all services, including events like Darwen Live.
It comes as organisers called on businesses to support the event through sponsorships.
Coun Talbot said: “We are looking at projected budget cuts for the next year so we are having to review all services.
“We may have to reduce the funds we give towards Darwen Live. We would not like to do this as it is a major event.
“We would certainly still support the event, just not with the same amount of money.” Meanwhile, planning for this year’s event is well under way with acts soon to be announced. Benn Robinson, of Darwen Music Projects, said: “We’re delighted with the acts that have confirmed so far, a fantastic combination of local original artists as well as nationally-acclaimed performers. Darwen Live is one of the largest free-to-attend music events in the north of England, right on our doorstep, and something the whole community can be involved in and proud of.
“There are opportunities for local businesses and organisations to connect with the thousands of people attending Darwen Live.”
For further information on becoming an event partner, email darwenlive @darwentowncouncil.org.uk.
Comments are closed on this article.