A MAN has been airlifted to hospital after suffering serious injuries in a crash with a suspected drink driver just outside Bolton town centre.

The accident, involving a Vauxhall Astra and a Peugeot, happened in Bridgeman Street, Bolton, at 7.55am this morning.

Firefighters freed the injured man - named locally as Rob Scott - and paramedics treated him at the scene before he was taken by air ambulance to Wythenshawe Hospital, which is a specialist trauma centre in Manchester.

Police said his pelvic injuries were serious and life threatening, though his condition has improved and a hospital spokesman described him as "stable and comfortable."

A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said: "A 25-year-old man who was driving the other vehicle suffered minor injuries and was taken to Royal Bolton Hospital for treatment.

"He underwent a breath test at the scene and failed it and has been arrested."

Bridgeman Street was closed between Fletcher Street and Thynne Street for four hours while police investigate the incident. The road is now fully open.

Mr Scott's manager, Jason Kenny, of Perrys Peugeot, Bolton, said: "Rob works as a service technician here and was on his way to work. He was a minute or so away from arriving.

"One of his colleagues went with him in the air ambulance. He is in his mid 20s and likes to keep fit so we're hoping he will recover and are thinking of him."


Mr Scott's family have been informed.

It is understood that Mr Scott's Peugeot was travelling along Bridgeman Street from Thynne Street in the direction of Fletcher Street when it crashed with the Astra travelling in the opposite direction.

A man at the scene, who asked not to be named, said: "I didn't see it happen, but, right afterwards, the driver of the Astra ran away from the scene and went into Sainsbury's to hide.

"He was Asian and a young-looking guy. I think he was arrested afterwards."

A spokesman for University Hospital of South Manchester, which runs Wythenshawe Hospital, said: "Mr Scott is stable and comfortable. He may need to have more treatment here, but he is conscious, breathing and doing well." The spokesmen did not say when it was likely he could return home. Call police on 101 with information.