- A 43-year-old man has died in a house fire in Manchester Road.
- Firefighters rescued the man from inside the house after they were called at about 6pm last night, but he later died in hospital.
- Neighbours said the terraced house was vacant but that somebody had been squatting inside.
- The downstairs area of the house, where the fire is understood to have started, has been destroyed, while there is severe smoke damage to the upstairs.
- The man was found collapsed in a bedroom upstairs.
- He was showing no signs of life when firefighters rescued him and he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards in hospital.
- The house is opposite Orlando Bridge, next door to Foster's hair salon in Manchester Road, near Lever Grove.
- Police, who remain at the scene this morning, are yet to confirm the identity of the man.