New 3-month driving ban for disabled Burnley man
A DISABLED man caught driving his mobility car while banned for speeding has been ordered off the road again — this time for three months.
Burnley magistrates heard how George Dionissiou had got behind the wheel because his carer was said to have gone to sleep after they arrived at a friend's house.
When he was stopped by police, he had given his brother's name and an address in Hull.
Dionissiou, who, the court was told was left brain injured after an assault, had been taken to hospital after the banned driving incident and had gone on to suffer a stroke.
He attended court accompanied by his carer and with the oxygen cylinder he has to carry.
The defendant, 49, of Downham Grove, Burnley, admitted driving while disqualified on Princess Way, on October 2, having no insurance and obstructing police.
Dionissiou was fined £110 by District Judge James Prowse who also banned him for three months and told him to pay a £20 victim surcharge.
Prosecutor Andrew Robinson told the hearing Dionissiou had been banned for 56 days for speeding and had been almost at the end of the disqualification.
He gave false details when stopped, was arrested and officers found out who he was when they took a fingerprint scan.
His last conviction was in 2008 and he was last convicted of banned driving in 1996.
Graeme Tindall, defending, said his carer had originally driven the mobility car Dionissiou had at the time to a friend's house. She had then gone to sleep.
The solicitor added: “His friend wanted some cigarettes and he stupidly took the decision to drive, not really thinking about the consequences.
“He gave his brother's name but I don't think that deception lasted for a particularly long time.”
Mr Tindall said Dionissiou received mobility and disability allowances.