East Lancashire hospital operations hit by bed shortages

This Is Lancashire: All hospitals are finding themselves under pressure All hospitals are finding themselves under pressure

THE number of operations being cancelled at East Lancashire hospitals due to bed shortages trebled in 12 months.

In 2012/13, 595 non-emergency operation were cancelled, compared to 194 in 2011/12, figures released under the Freedom of Information Act revealed.

Health bosses said 60 per cent of the cancellations occurred during December and February, and blamed cold winters for an increase in hospital admissions.

But the figures were slammed by a leading health campaigner at Pennine Lancashire Patient Voices Group.

Chairman Russ McLean said: “I have to say that’s an appalling situation really, especially for people who are waiting for operations like hip and knee replacements.

“Everybody understands our hospitals are under enormous pressure, but I don’t think that’s any excuse.”

In 2009/10, 180 elective - or non-emergency operations - were cancelled, compared to 328 in 2010/11. The figure was 723 for 2008/09.

Val Bertenshaw, director of operations at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, said poor winters in 2010 and 2012 had led to the increases. She said: “Hospital bed pressure increases particularly in winter as patients attending the emergency department and urgent care centres increase, therefore impacting on elective admissions.

“Significant increases in cancellations seen in 2008/09 and 2012/13 were due to particularly challenging years for the trust in terms of coping with challenging winter pressures which was reflected in NHS organisations across the UK.”

But Mr McLean said: “As far as I understand, the winter plan is put in place every year at this time, so there’s a plan in place now for next year.

“So these things should have been taken into account, and I don’t think hospitals have been any busier this year than last, so I think it’s a bit of a red herring.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:27pm Fri 10 Jan 14

mavrick says...

It is always the same when the Tories are in power, They are determined to dismantle the welfare state without a care for anyone except their rich friends.Things will get a lot worse before people see sense and vote them out.
It is always the same when the Tories are in power, They are determined to dismantle the welfare state without a care for anyone except their rich friends.Things will get a lot worse before people see sense and vote them out. mavrick

2:17pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Interocitor says...

You've got to hand it to the Tories and their Lib Dem enablers - it took Thatcher years to 'accomplish' what this right wing coalition have done in less than one term.

You could have let loose a battalion of berserks armed with a sledgehammers and they would struggle to do a better job.
You've got to hand it to the Tories and their Lib Dem enablers - it took Thatcher years to 'accomplish' what this right wing coalition have done in less than one term. You could have let loose a battalion of berserks armed with a sledgehammers and they would struggle to do a better job. Interocitor

2:19pm Fri 10 Jan 14

bernss says...

people should shout from the roof tops EARLY ELECTION get the money grapping tories out now...
people should shout from the roof tops EARLY ELECTION get the money grapping tories out now... bernss

6:31pm Fri 10 Jan 14

kapalski says...

Oh my days, always an excuse for this trust, always blaming it on the winter months, we have winter every dam year, put an action plan into place and work with it. Stop blaming it on everyone else, it's not the people's fault you panic every winter.
Oh my days, always an excuse for this trust, always blaming it on the winter months, we have winter every dam year, put an action plan into place and work with it. Stop blaming it on everyone else, it's not the people's fault you panic every winter. kapalski

8:27pm Fri 10 Jan 14

mavrick says...

I also noticed the truth of the attacks on union members in the 70s is coming out. I hope people will read, hear, watch,,And see the evil of the Tory lies.
I also noticed the truth of the attacks on union members in the 70s is coming out. I hope people will read, hear, watch,,And see the evil of the Tory lies. mavrick

9:33pm Fri 10 Jan 14

Pendlesider says...

this trust has been running at 100% capacity ever since Burnley, pendle and rossendale had to share acute services at Blackburn, i,e, ever since Burnley's A&E was closed in 2007 and moved to Blackburn. Hospital directors and managers were warned this would happen way back then but as we can see there's been significant increases in cancellations (trebling) in the space of just 12 months!
.
has anyone any idea what this 'winter plan' is supposed to entail? perhaps the plan involves cancellations of elective surgery for minor ailments, who knows what priority this plan adopts?
.
whichever way, this winter was fairly mild in east lancs so as far as I see it the whole rhetoric of a winter plan is a 'Red Herring'. Are we talking bed shortages or staff shortages, or both?
.
urgent care centres such as that at Burnley don't admit patients to beds; so I'd take the words of Val Bertenshaw with a pinch of salt...and maybe throw in the red herring for a more misleading flavour...
this trust has been running at 100% capacity ever since Burnley, pendle and rossendale had to share acute services at Blackburn, i,e, ever since Burnley's A&E was closed in 2007 and moved to Blackburn. Hospital directors and managers were warned this would happen way back then but as we can see there's been significant increases in cancellations (trebling) in the space of just 12 months! . has anyone any idea what this 'winter plan' is supposed to entail? perhaps the plan involves cancellations of elective surgery for minor ailments, who knows what priority this plan adopts? . whichever way, this winter was fairly mild in east lancs so as far as I see it the whole rhetoric of a winter plan is a 'Red Herring'. Are we talking bed shortages or staff shortages, or both? . urgent care centres such as that at Burnley don't admit patients to beds; so I'd take the words of Val Bertenshaw with a pinch of salt...and maybe throw in the red herring for a more misleading flavour... Pendlesider

3:30pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Sergio41 says...

Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!!
Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!! Sergio41

8:41pm Sat 11 Jan 14

denidenideni says...

Why bring the politics into this?
Look at the facts if that is what you want, this all started with Tony Blair & Gordon brown and their cronies, and i am a labour supporter, but I hate what they and their mates did. they all become lords. They spend all the money and let this coalition into power, to try to fix their mess.
Why bring the politics into this? Look at the facts if that is what you want, this all started with Tony Blair & Gordon brown and their cronies, and i am a labour supporter, but I hate what they and their mates did. they all become lords. They spend all the money and let this coalition into power, to try to fix their mess. denidenideni

10:12pm Sat 11 Jan 14

Pendlesider says...

Sergio41 wrote:
Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!!
nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away).
.
Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim.
if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest.
.
There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell
ations.
The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people.
The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure.
[quote][p][bold]Sergio41[/bold] wrote: Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!![/p][/quote]nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away). . Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim. if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest. . There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell ations. The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people. The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure. Pendlesider

1:11am Sun 12 Jan 14

Sergio41 says...

Pendlesider wrote:
Sergio41 wrote:
Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!!
nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away).
.
Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim.
if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest.
.
There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell

ations.
The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people.
The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure.
The government set out its plan to pull out 20 billion over a five year period from the NHS. It is so well publicised that im astonished i have to tell you this Pendlesider! You also have your facts completely wrong regarding Doctors. there is a clear reduction in junior doctors, you only have to google itif you dont believe someone who HAS worked in the NHs. In fact, over the coming years, the shortfall in DR's is going to get worse and worse and worse. We, as a nation, already have to recruit a very high volume of our current doctors from overseas, many trusts go specifically abroad on recruitment campaigns just to do that. this is also the case for nursing staff. I dont know the figures regarding East lancs, but i dare say if you were informed enough to enquire about it, you would probably find huge gaps in medical staffing at the Trust that the cant recruit to even when they try. I once worked at a Trust in Yorkshire that had so few A+E doctors that it actually approached the Army to borrow some of theirs, just so they could run an A+E service at all, let alone two!! Do you have any idea what your talking about funding? Ring-fenced, which country do you live in???? You must be the only person i have heard say that any time in the last 5 or 6 years!! Incredibly ignorant!! Of course he government will tell you it hasnt decreased funding, it just hasnt increased it at a time when the cost of everything else, wages, medical equipment, supplies etc have all massively increased!! I understand frustrations round A+E's closing but this too is only going to get worse, not better. This is another government led agenda, guess why....lack of funding and lack of Doctors, now you go figure!!!
[quote][p][bold]Pendlesider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sergio41[/bold] wrote: Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!![/p][/quote]nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away). . Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim. if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest. . There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell ations. The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people. The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure.[/p][/quote]The government set out its plan to pull out 20 billion over a five year period from the NHS. It is so well publicised that im astonished i have to tell you this Pendlesider! You also have your facts completely wrong regarding Doctors. there is a clear reduction in junior doctors, you only have to google itif you dont believe someone who HAS worked in the NHs. In fact, over the coming years, the shortfall in DR's is going to get worse and worse and worse. We, as a nation, already have to recruit a very high volume of our current doctors from overseas, many trusts go specifically abroad on recruitment campaigns just to do that. this is also the case for nursing staff. I dont know the figures regarding East lancs, but i dare say if you were informed enough to enquire about it, you would probably find huge gaps in medical staffing at the Trust that the cant recruit to even when they try. I once worked at a Trust in Yorkshire that had so few A+E doctors that it actually approached the Army to borrow some of theirs, just so they could run an A+E service at all, let alone two!! Do you have any idea what your talking about funding? Ring-fenced, which country do you live in???? You must be the only person i have heard say that any time in the last 5 or 6 years!! Incredibly ignorant!! Of course he government will tell you it hasnt decreased funding, it just hasnt increased it at a time when the cost of everything else, wages, medical equipment, supplies etc have all massively increased!! I understand frustrations round A+E's closing but this too is only going to get worse, not better. This is another government led agenda, guess why....lack of funding and lack of Doctors, now you go figure!!! Sergio41

11:00pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Pendlesider says...

Sergio41 wrote:
Pendlesider wrote:
Sergio41 wrote:
Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!!
nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away).
.
Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim.
if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest.
.
There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell


ations.
The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people.
The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure.
The government set out its plan to pull out 20 billion over a five year period from the NHS. It is so well publicised that im astonished i have to tell you this Pendlesider! You also have your facts completely wrong regarding Doctors. there is a clear reduction in junior doctors, you only have to google itif you dont believe someone who HAS worked in the NHs. In fact, over the coming years, the shortfall in DR's is going to get worse and worse and worse. We, as a nation, already have to recruit a very high volume of our current doctors from overseas, many trusts go specifically abroad on recruitment campaigns just to do that. this is also the case for nursing staff. I dont know the figures regarding East lancs, but i dare say if you were informed enough to enquire about it, you would probably find huge gaps in medical staffing at the Trust that the cant recruit to even when they try. I once worked at a Trust in Yorkshire that had so few A+E doctors that it actually approached the Army to borrow some of theirs, just so they could run an A+E service at all, let alone two!! Do you have any idea what your talking about funding? Ring-fenced, which country do you live in???? You must be the only person i have heard say that any time in the last 5 or 6 years!! Incredibly ignorant!! Of course he government will tell you it hasnt decreased funding, it just hasnt increased it at a time when the cost of everything else, wages, medical equipment, supplies etc have all massively increased!! I understand frustrations round A+E's closing but this too is only going to get worse, not better. This is another government led agenda, guess why....lack of funding and lack of Doctors, now you go figure!!!
To answer your question: Yes, I do have an idea of the funding and spending of this hospital trust, otherwise I would have reserved my comments somewhat. You seem to be unable to grasp the concept of continuous government funding (ring-fenced) and the fact that 'the ring-fenced' money becomes irrelevant when taking into account the interest on the PFi interest for this trust (which is just below £1 million per month as it stands).
.
In simple terms, the government ring-fenced funding is not enough to cover the increased service needs. On top of that, the private finance is eating into the budget leaving a large gap in the quality of patient care. Hence one reason this trust, failing to do their homework, relied on predictions as to the bed allocations and attendees at the only A&E in east lancashire.
.
I suggest reading the 'keogh report' and the excuses touted by this trust?
You'll find that I'm not as 'ignorent' as you suspect and you 'may' just change your tune about your solution of turning patients away from A&E.
[quote][p][bold]Sergio41[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pendlesider[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sergio41[/bold] wrote: Some of the comments above just show the ignorance of some around issues which they do not have the first clue about. I used to work in the nhs, until recently, within a trust in the north west , I can assure know it all's like Pendlesider that the trusts DO admits patients from urgent care centres, less than those from A+E yes, but still some. They also admit direct from GP's, who continue to increase their direct referrals in to the hospital putting more pressure on trusts. And then there is the sheer volume of people, especially in some areas across east lancashire, like any other region, that use a+e as a GP replacement service and attend for things that most certainly aren't emergency's. What the trust's like east lancs could do better is turn patients away at the front door rather than admitting people, but the pressure they are under in this era of rising expectations, reducing funding and reducing number of trained Dr's and Nurses mean that they daren't send a patient suffering with a headache for a month home and back to the GP in case of complaints and more likely litigation! It is US, the general public that are creating this mess, and then complaining when our operations are cancelled so the hospital can look after people who don't really need to be there!!! Time to wake up while we still have an NHS, the alternative doesn't bare thinking about!!![/p][/quote]nowhere in my post do I profess to know it all. Your suggestion of turning patients away just to free up beds is insensitive, ill-thought out, and clearly shows you never worked in the nhs (if you did then god help patients turning up at your surgery only to be turned away). . Another thing which shows you're not a nhs worker is the fact that funding has not been reduced in fact it has been ringfenced until 2015. Savings that need to be made could impact on services but there has been an INCREASE in trainee doctors not a decrease as you claim. if there's a lack of beds then elective patients are notified and there is no case for litigation as you also suggest. . There are patients who may or may not need emergency care and thats why the MGH at Blackburn has a UCC to support the A&E (it also has a surgical assessment unit). It is not the public that has created this problem as you think. it is the stupid idea of closing A&E's nearby (as the one at Burnley) and expecting to run a single A&E in Blackburn below 100% capacity without clogging up beds resulting in elective (pre-planned)cancell ations. The only fact Sergio41 has discovered is the volume of people. The royal college of medicine stated that if a hospital trust area has a catchment population of over 400,000 then there should be 2 a&e's (Burnley and Blackburn). The last census for east lancs was 536,000 population. go figure.[/p][/quote]The government set out its plan to pull out 20 billion over a five year period from the NHS. It is so well publicised that im astonished i have to tell you this Pendlesider! You also have your facts completely wrong regarding Doctors. there is a clear reduction in junior doctors, you only have to google itif you dont believe someone who HAS worked in the NHs. In fact, over the coming years, the shortfall in DR's is going to get worse and worse and worse. We, as a nation, already have to recruit a very high volume of our current doctors from overseas, many trusts go specifically abroad on recruitment campaigns just to do that. this is also the case for nursing staff. I dont know the figures regarding East lancs, but i dare say if you were informed enough to enquire about it, you would probably find huge gaps in medical staffing at the Trust that the cant recruit to even when they try. I once worked at a Trust in Yorkshire that had so few A+E doctors that it actually approached the Army to borrow some of theirs, just so they could run an A+E service at all, let alone two!! Do you have any idea what your talking about funding? Ring-fenced, which country do you live in???? You must be the only person i have heard say that any time in the last 5 or 6 years!! Incredibly ignorant!! Of course he government will tell you it hasnt decreased funding, it just hasnt increased it at a time when the cost of everything else, wages, medical equipment, supplies etc have all massively increased!! I understand frustrations round A+E's closing but this too is only going to get worse, not better. This is another government led agenda, guess why....lack of funding and lack of Doctors, now you go figure!!![/p][/quote]To answer your question: Yes, I do have an idea of the funding and spending of this hospital trust, otherwise I would have reserved my comments somewhat. You seem to be unable to grasp the concept of continuous government funding (ring-fenced) and the fact that 'the ring-fenced' money becomes irrelevant when taking into account the interest on the PFi interest for this trust (which is just below £1 million per month as it stands). . In simple terms, the government ring-fenced funding is not enough to cover the increased service needs. On top of that, the private finance is eating into the budget leaving a large gap in the quality of patient care. Hence one reason this trust, failing to do their homework, relied on predictions as to the bed allocations and attendees at the only A&E in east lancashire. . I suggest reading the 'keogh report' and the excuses touted by this trust? You'll find that I'm not as 'ignorent' as you suspect and you 'may' just change your tune about your solution of turning patients away from A&E. Pendlesider

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree