A MAN is dead and a woman is fighting for her life in hospital after a horrific crash on St Peter’s Way.

The 24-year-old male driver of a red Volkswagen Golf was killed when his car overturned on the A666 northbound and plunged into a ditch by the side of the road.

His passenger, a 20-year-old woman, was critically injured in the crash.

The car also hit a lamp post in the accident, which happened at 11am this morning near the Kearlsey roundabout heading into Bolton.

Firefighters had to cut both people out of the vehicle.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene, while the woman was taken by ambulance to Salford Royal Hospital.

Police described her condition as "serious but stable" and said officers were notifying her family and loved ones of the driver.

The northbound carriageway was closed for more than four hours while police investigated the cause of the crash, causing major delays on a number of routes into Bolton.

Residents in Bridge Street, Farnworth, which runs near the crash site, could see more than 10 firefighters at the scene more than two hours after the crash.

Police cordoned off land near homes in Bridge Street to prevent people getting close to the incident.

A Farnworth resident, who did not want to be named, said: “The first I knew of it was when I looked out of my window after hearing lots of sirens.

“It was difficult to tell what had happened but I presumed it was a multi-vehicle collision initially due to the large amount of emergency vehicles on the A666.

“I could see tarpaulin being raised so I feared the worst.

“It is really sad to hear that a life has been lost.

“People do tend to speed along St Peter’s Way and slow down at the speed cameras but I really do not know what could have happened.

“It’s a terrible loss especially so soon after Christmas.”

Emily Williams, aged 18, from Bromley Cross, drove past the crash scene shortly after it happened while on the way to Manchester.

She said: “I was with my friend and her mum and we just saw two fire engines and the car was completely crushed.

“The crash looked awful, the car was all crumpled. We were quite shaken up after seeing it.”

Several emergency services vehicles surrounded the crash site, including ambulances, fire engines and police cars.

A fire service spokesman said two fire engines and a technical response unit were sent to the crash.

The spokesman said: "The car veered off the road and is down a ditch. Two people in one car were involved in the crash."


The North West Ambulance Service sent a specialist response team to the scene, along with two ambulances.

The air ambulance was also scrambled but was not used.

Any witnesses are asked to contact the police's serious collision investigation unit on 0161 8564742.