Funds pledge keeps Darwen Live alive
2:00pm Wednesday 1st January 2014 in News
THE annual Darwen Live music festival will continue this year after the town and borough councils pledged to fund it.
The event, which cost £35,000 in 2013 and featured performances from The Wonder Stuff and The Lancashire Hotpots, will take place on Sunday and the Bank Holiday Monday, May 25 and 26.
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council has pledged £15,000, with the rest being paid for by Darwen Town Council and sponsorships.
Town council deputy chairman Trevor Maxfield said he was delighted the event would continue. He said: “It is great news that the borough has agreed to continue its funding and we have unanimously agreed to continue ours.Darwen Live is one of the biggest events in Darwen’s calendar so it is important that we continue to run it.
“We are hoping to bring in more cash through sponsorships this year, so hopefully we can make the event even bigger.”
Blackburn with Darwen Council executive member for leisure Damian Talbot said: “We have agreed to put in the same amount as we did last year.
“It is an important event in Darwen and it brings a lot in to the local economy as well.
“Hopefully, I will be able to go myself this year as well, as my children are getting older and I get a bit more freedom now!”
The annual two-day free festival was in danger of being cancelled in 2011 after borough council bosses said they could not afford to put on the event, which had cost £41,000 in 2010.
But with joint funding from Darwen Town Council, the event was saved and has continued every year.
The popular event has been running since 2000 and has seen top bands such as The Buzzcocks, Bad Manners and The Animals perform in the town centre.
Comments are closed on this article.