Dog starts kitchen fire
A DOG caused a kitchen fire by accidentally switching on a hob.
Neighbours saw smoke and heard the fire alarm from the semi-detached home in Greenhill Avenue, New Bury at about 11am today.
Firefighters from Farnworth Fire Station were called and forced entry to the home. Nobody was in the home but a beagle dog was rescued but suffered from smoke inhalation.
Firefighters say the dog is believed to have knocked the switch for the hob, turning it on. Clothing near to the hob caught fire.
A woman, who lives in the home, was at work and was contacted. The kitchen was badly damaged.
Ian Gardner, watch manager at Farnworth Fire Station, said: “The lady had gone to work and the dog has jumped around in the kitchen and she has clothing and washing near the top of the cooker.
"The dog managed to turn the cooker right on and its set fire to the clothing. We managed to save the dog, a beagle.
"It was congested due to there being a lot of smoke The damage was quite bad, the kitchen was destroyed.
"There was a lot of smoke damage throughout the house. It is not the first time a dog has switched on a hob.”
People can get free fire home safety checks by calling 0800 555 815.
Comments are closed on this article.