Police continue to probe death of man found hanged at Whitefield Metrolink station

This Is Lancashire: Police at Whitefield tram stop Police at Whitefield tram stop

POLICE are continuing their investigations into the circumstances surrounding the death of a man who was found hanged under a staircase at Whitefield Metrolink station.

His identity has not yet been disclosed and an inquest is yet to open into the incident.

Tram passengers, including many children on their way to school, were left horrified by the discovery during the rush-hour last Thursday morning.

The body of the man, believed to be aged in his 60s, was found under a staircase next to the platform, off Stanley Road, in full view of commuters around 8.25am.

The first Bury-bound service had passed through Whitefield at 5.47am, but it was thought to be too dark for passengers on early services to see the man.

Police say they are unsure as to whether he was there at that point or if he arrived at the station later. It is not believed there are any suspicious circumstances.

Chris Trees, headteacher at Philips High School in Whitefield, said eight of his pupils, some of them aged just 11, saw the man’s body on their way to school.

He said two of the pupils had been given counselling in school and one of them had been sent home at the request of his parents, though the others continued lessons.

Umar Yameen, aged 18, of Crumpsall, was on a Bury-bound tram on his way to Bury College when the tram passed through Whitefield station at about 8.30am.

He said: “There was a man under the stairs hanging with an orange rope around his neck.

“He was wrapped up and wearing a hat. It was very bad to see. People reacted with shock.

“He was alone but then two policemen came. Eventually they placed a black cover around him.”

Waqar Grzeskow, aged 17, of Crumpsall, also took a tram into Bury.

He said: “I heard some commotion and went to see what it was and there a man, roughly aged in his 60s.

“The tram was full of people, from schoolchildren to workers.

“It was traumatic. Everyone was shocked and horrified.”

The station was closed until about noon before it re-opened fully.

A police spokesman said: “At about 8.30am, emergency services were called to Whitefield Metrolink station on Stanley Road to reports a man had been found hanged.

“Officers attended to find a man who was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Firefighters helped police officers remove the body from the scene.

A spokesman for the coroner’s office at Rochdale said they were still awaiting information from the police and the inquest may not open until next week.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree