Bolton Council takes legal action to force entry into 'disgraceful' former Subway building

This Is Lancashire: Bolton Council takes legal action to force entry into 'disgraceful' former Subway building Bolton Council takes legal action to force entry into 'disgraceful' former Subway building

BOLTON Council is taking legal action to force entry to a former Subway outlet at a prime town centre site.

Neighbouring businesses of the property near the corner of Bradshawgate and Deansgate have complained about its dilapidated condition.

The London-based owner and the Altrincham agents have failed to respond to requests to maintain the property.

Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s director of development and regeneration, said: “The building is in a disgraceful condition.

“For all the efforts that we are making to improve parts of the town centre, what you cannot influence is the intransigence of some absentee owners and landlords.

“These are people who are not Bolton based and who have no understanding of what we are trying do.

“They ignore all our efforts to try to improve buildings which are in a very poor condition.”
Subway closed in January 2010 and the Bradshawgate building has now been boarded up for a number of months.

Mr Davies added: “We’ve tried to work with the agents and owner and served notices.

“We now have to follow an expensive legal process which will enable us to enter the premises to do the work and charge the owner.

“We asked for the owner’s co-operation in trying to improve the area, but it has not been forthcoming and we have the legal powers to enter the property. It is likely to happen in January.”

Mr Davies added that the location of the three-storey building — also including a cellar — was a gateway site, opposite Prestons of Bolton.

He said: “It should be a major asset to the crown of the town centre. But the outlook from Prestons is bleak. Windows have been broken and left unrepaired, which is dangerous.”

Owner Eli Pine, a director of Skelhurst Ltd and Charles Hadfield of Regional Property Solutions Ltd, were unavailable for comment.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:35am Sat 14 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property,

Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late.

The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre.....

Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot.
Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town.
Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds.

Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........ serendipity2

8:41am Sat 14 Dec 13

arrian says...

and what about the Buffet King restaurant on the corner of Gt Moor St? that's even worse, and been that way for many years now.
and what about the Buffet King restaurant on the corner of Gt Moor St? that's even worse, and been that way for many years now. arrian

9:22am Sat 14 Dec 13

Malcolm Tucker says...

serendipity2 wrote:
So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property,

Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late.

The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre.....

Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot.
Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town.
Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds.

Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
One of the most ridiculous posts ever.

For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news.

The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any!

You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter?

I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........[/p][/quote]One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many. Malcolm Tucker

11:07am Sat 14 Dec 13

andrewb321 says...

what about the old buffet king building on the corner of Manchester rd and great moor st. that building is also an eyesore as well . in my opinion it should be pulled down.
what about the old buffet king building on the corner of Manchester rd and great moor st. that building is also an eyesore as well . in my opinion it should be pulled down. andrewb321

12:53pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Balboa says...

So a property has no tenant because of the high business rates, and the council is offended at the boarding of the damaged windows, caused (perhaps) by the louts who move to and from between dodgy, cheap, pubs in that stretch which look worse than the old Subway property. That's before or after they go for a kebab opposite Prestons, vomit/urinate on the paving, then head down the rat run to the taxi building, sorry, taxi shack.

Makes no sense to single out this building to any other. It isn't that bad in comparison. Plenty other targets - beginning with the dilapidated and listed buildings owned by the council - our heritage buildings - but which they allow to fall in to disrepair....oh the irony, incompetence and hypocricy of this labour loony council.
So a property has no tenant because of the high business rates, and the council is offended at the boarding of the damaged windows, caused (perhaps) by the louts who move to and from between dodgy, cheap, pubs in that stretch which look worse than the old Subway property. That's before or after they go for a kebab opposite Prestons, vomit/urinate on the paving, then head down the rat run to the taxi building, sorry, taxi shack. Makes no sense to single out this building to any other. It isn't that bad in comparison. Plenty other targets - beginning with the dilapidated and listed buildings owned by the council - our heritage buildings - but which they allow to fall in to disrepair....oh the irony, incompetence and hypocricy of this labour loony council. Balboa

12:55pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Balboa says...

Perhaps the reporter mr jackson may wish to quiz the council on their policy of priority buildings, and why the council do not look aftere listed buildings and/or those they own within conservation areas....or would that embarrass the left wing paper??
Perhaps the reporter mr jackson may wish to quiz the council on their policy of priority buildings, and why the council do not look aftere listed buildings and/or those they own within conservation areas....or would that embarrass the left wing paper?? Balboa

1:22pm Sat 14 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

Malcolm Tucker wrote:
serendipity2 wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.
Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory.

I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..
[quote][p][bold]Malcolm Tucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........[/p][/quote]One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.[/p][/quote]Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side.. serendipity2

1:29pm Sat 14 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

serendipity2 wrote:
Malcolm Tucker wrote:
serendipity2 wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.
Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..
BL3 Deane road enterance to the town Centre has a high percentage of ethenic diversity and the council lavish money on projects to tidy it up to improve the area ! Where as in the BL2 Bank Street enterance to town the council have are no real plan the Church wharf development has been talked about for 30 years has no start date unlike all the other developments.

.
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Malcolm Tucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........[/p][/quote]One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.[/p][/quote]Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..[/p][/quote]BL3 Deane road enterance to the town Centre has a high percentage of ethenic diversity and the council lavish money on projects to tidy it up to improve the area ! Where as in the BL2 Bank Street enterance to town the council have are no real plan the Church wharf development has been talked about for 30 years has no start date unlike all the other developments. . serendipity2

3:12pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Elizabeth1980 says...

What about the old Ikon nightclub on Bridge Street as well? That still looks a state. Thought it was going to be a world buffet.
What about the old Ikon nightclub on Bridge Street as well? That still looks a state. Thought it was going to be a world buffet. Elizabeth1980

3:34pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

serendipity2 wrote:
Malcolm Tucker wrote:
serendipity2 wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.
Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory.

I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..
I totally agree, Bank Street is a disgrace, 60% of the punters that frequent the establishments down their are causing trouble because the area is so bleak, unlit and derelict - it has a knock on effect on social behavior.

I believe the owner of the whole block at Bank Street Taxi's is redundant to the idea of bringing the place up to scratch. The area is a definite hazard up and down.

If anyone defends this part of town they are either very friendly with the locals or slightly touched, maybe even in a paid council position.
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Malcolm Tucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........[/p][/quote]One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.[/p][/quote]Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..[/p][/quote]I totally agree, Bank Street is a disgrace, 60% of the punters that frequent the establishments down their are causing trouble because the area is so bleak, unlit and derelict - it has a knock on effect on social behavior. I believe the owner of the whole block at Bank Street Taxi's is redundant to the idea of bringing the place up to scratch. The area is a definite hazard up and down. If anyone defends this part of town they are either very friendly with the locals or slightly touched, maybe even in a paid council position. Beyond News Forum

3:36pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street.
To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street. Beyond News Forum

4:09pm Sat 14 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

Beyond News Forum wrote:
To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street.
Prestons have had to battle the decline of that area of town and should be applauded for the victoria master piece they have taken so much pride in.

ITS A PITTY BOLTON COUNCIL HAVEN'T GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE TOWN HERE'S HOPING BOLTON COUNCIL REGENERATE BRADSHAWGATE IN THE STYLISH WAY PRESTONS OF BOLTON HAVE..

TO BE FRANK YOU COULDN'T BLAME PRESTONS IF THEY DITCHED BOLTON NOW THEY HAVE A WILMSLOW BRANCH......
[quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street.[/p][/quote]Prestons have had to battle the decline of that area of town and should be applauded for the victoria master piece they have taken so much pride in. ITS A PITTY BOLTON COUNCIL HAVEN'T GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE TOWN HERE'S HOPING BOLTON COUNCIL REGENERATE BRADSHAWGATE IN THE STYLISH WAY PRESTONS OF BOLTON HAVE.. TO BE FRANK YOU COULDN'T BLAME PRESTONS IF THEY DITCHED BOLTON NOW THEY HAVE A WILMSLOW BRANCH...... serendipity2

4:51pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Greasy Chip Butty says...

serendipity2 - What a load of Balderdash. Another reader constantly bringing "ethnic" issues into the equation.
There has been plenty of investment gone into the BL2 area of Bolton ( a non- ethnic area ) according to your definition, whatever that means....
serendipity2 - What a load of Balderdash. Another reader constantly bringing "ethnic" issues into the equation. There has been plenty of investment gone into the BL2 area of Bolton ( a non- ethnic area ) according to your definition, whatever that means.... Greasy Chip Butty

5:38pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Ernagy2 says...

Ah - very sad. I remember it as Clarks shoe shop. My parents always took us in there for shoes. I was always impressed with that vacuum machine that took the money into an office up stairs. I still want one of those for Christmas (lol)
Ah - very sad. I remember it as Clarks shoe shop. My parents always took us in there for shoes. I was always impressed with that vacuum machine that took the money into an office up stairs. I still want one of those for Christmas (lol) Ernagy2

8:08pm Sat 14 Dec 13

Count de Monet says...

I thought this particular shop was the old Stead & Simpsn's shoe shop. I was wondering if the landlords own the whole of the red brick building which runs from the corner for quite a way along Bradshawgate. It is actually called Whewell Buildings.
I thought this particular shop was the old Stead & Simpsn's shoe shop. I was wondering if the landlords own the whole of the red brick building which runs from the corner for quite a way along Bradshawgate. It is actually called Whewell Buildings. Count de Monet

8:26pm Sat 14 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

Greasy Chip Butty wrote:
serendipity2 - What a load of Balderdash. Another reader constantly bringing "ethnic" issues into the equation. There has been plenty of investment gone into the BL2 area of Bolton ( a non- ethnic area ) according to your definition, whatever that means....
Ethnic Area explained pridominatley white British areas where there are few Pakistanis Indians resident etc.. Deane Road on the other hand has a high percentage of pakistanis Indians etc with fewer white british families resident.

Apologies if this sounds racist to yourself its just what my neighbours discuss, like they discuss the asylum seekers this council bus in from the south east and house during the night....
[quote][p][bold]Greasy Chip Butty[/bold] wrote: serendipity2 - What a load of Balderdash. Another reader constantly bringing "ethnic" issues into the equation. There has been plenty of investment gone into the BL2 area of Bolton ( a non- ethnic area ) according to your definition, whatever that means....[/p][/quote]Ethnic Area explained pridominatley white British areas where there are few Pakistanis Indians resident etc.. Deane Road on the other hand has a high percentage of pakistanis Indians etc with fewer white british families resident. Apologies if this sounds racist to yourself its just what my neighbours discuss, like they discuss the asylum seekers this council bus in from the south east and house during the night.... serendipity2

2:16am Sun 15 Dec 13

keithyno.1 says...

Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me.

I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury.

The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!!
Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me. I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury. The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!! keithyno.1

7:49am Sun 15 Dec 13

serendipity2 says...

keithyno.1 wrote:
Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me. I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury. The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!!
Well said people in the Brashaw ward want a direct bus service to Bury they are so hacked of with the scruffy depression option Bolton has to offer.

No big christmas wheel will change the substance of a location.

I can bet Prestons have threatened Mr Davies now they have alternative outlets to trade from and Bolton are panicking as a flag ship store Prestons is a real brand.
[quote][p][bold]keithyno.1[/bold] wrote: Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me. I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury. The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!![/p][/quote]Well said people in the Brashaw ward want a direct bus service to Bury they are so hacked of with the scruffy depression option Bolton has to offer. No big christmas wheel will change the substance of a location. I can bet Prestons have threatened Mr Davies now they have alternative outlets to trade from and Bolton are panicking as a flag ship store Prestons is a real brand. serendipity2

4:05pm Sun 15 Dec 13

LordLeverhulme says...

So the Council are going to force entry, do it up, and then 'charge the owner' for the costs.

Yeah.. best of luck with that one.
So the Council are going to force entry, do it up, and then 'charge the owner' for the costs. Yeah.. best of luck with that one. LordLeverhulme

9:33pm Sun 15 Dec 13

BWFC71 says...

serendipity2 wrote:
Beyond News Forum wrote:
To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street.
Prestons have had to battle the decline of that area of town and should be applauded for the victoria master piece they have taken so much pride in.

ITS A PITTY BOLTON COUNCIL HAVEN'T GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE TOWN HERE'S HOPING BOLTON COUNCIL REGENERATE BRADSHAWGATE IN THE STYLISH WAY PRESTONS OF BOLTON HAVE..

TO BE FRANK YOU COULDN'T BLAME PRESTONS IF THEY DITCHED BOLTON NOW THEY HAVE A WILMSLOW BRANCH......
Have you not heard that the owner of Prestons actually had the Wilmslow branch long before he bought the Prestons which was, at the time, in administration, after the Duckworth family lost interest an stopped ploughing money into it!

Therefore it is an out-of-towner helping to save Bolton Town Centre and I fully applaud the owner!!
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Beyond News Forum[/bold] wrote: To add, it is probable that it was the Diamond and Gold corporation across the road that made the complaint, I hope they can have the same effect on the council in discussing Bank Street.[/p][/quote]Prestons have had to battle the decline of that area of town and should be applauded for the victoria master piece they have taken so much pride in. ITS A PITTY BOLTON COUNCIL HAVEN'T GIVE TWO HOOTS ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE TOWN HERE'S HOPING BOLTON COUNCIL REGENERATE BRADSHAWGATE IN THE STYLISH WAY PRESTONS OF BOLTON HAVE.. TO BE FRANK YOU COULDN'T BLAME PRESTONS IF THEY DITCHED BOLTON NOW THEY HAVE A WILMSLOW BRANCH......[/p][/quote]Have you not heard that the owner of Prestons actually had the Wilmslow branch long before he bought the Prestons which was, at the time, in administration, after the Duckworth family lost interest an stopped ploughing money into it! Therefore it is an out-of-towner helping to save Bolton Town Centre and I fully applaud the owner!! BWFC71

9:43pm Sun 15 Dec 13

sunfun says...

I looked at leasing this building for a business venture but £41,600 a year rent and £53,243 business rates and lack of parking made this a non runner
I looked at leasing this building for a business venture but £41,600 a year rent and £53,243 business rates and lack of parking made this a non runner sunfun

1:50am Mon 16 Dec 13

elysian12345 says...

what about pink panthers that is opposite the old 5th ave entrance it closed down as a pub when i worked at ritzys (i left in 1994) it looks like it is falling down so instead of spending a fortune on a new market (hoping it dos'nt end up like the white elephant that is the market place) and the new interchange when the bus station only had a major refurb about 10-15 yrs ago why not spend the money doing the town up then when people do come to the town they are not forced to endure dilapidated nature of the town without thinking i could name at least 6-7 buildings that are in a bad state of repair
what about pink panthers that is opposite the old 5th ave entrance it closed down as a pub when i worked at ritzys (i left in 1994) it looks like it is falling down so instead of spending a fortune on a new market (hoping it dos'nt end up like the white elephant that is the market place) and the new interchange when the bus station only had a major refurb about 10-15 yrs ago why not spend the money doing the town up then when people do come to the town they are not forced to endure dilapidated nature of the town without thinking i could name at least 6-7 buildings that are in a bad state of repair elysian12345

10:36am Mon 16 Dec 13

brinhambo says...

Why stop at the corner of bradshawgate what about 1 the old odeon,2 the whole row on bank st, 3 fads,4 buffet king, 5 the row of old shops on Newport st opp the new interchange.6 allthe old dilapidated shops on Newport st from Victoria sq to gt moor st esp at the back on cheapside,7 the rear of the old county court on mawdsley st . 8 and one of the biggest eyesores are the flats on bradshawgate where the lido cinema was the look like they have been there years and are a disgrace
Why stop at the corner of bradshawgate what about 1 the old odeon,2 the whole row on bank st, 3 fads,4 buffet king, 5 the row of old shops on Newport st opp the new interchange.6 allthe old dilapidated shops on Newport st from Victoria sq to gt moor st esp at the back on cheapside,7 the rear of the old county court on mawdsley st . 8 and one of the biggest eyesores are the flats on bradshawgate where the lido cinema was the look like they have been there years and are a disgrace brinhambo

8:02pm Mon 16 Dec 13

BWFC71 says...

serendipity2 wrote:
keithyno.1 wrote:
Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me. I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury. The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!!
Well said people in the Brashaw ward want a direct bus service to Bury they are so hacked of with the scruffy depression option Bolton has to offer.

No big christmas wheel will change the substance of a location.

I can bet Prestons have threatened Mr Davies now they have alternative outlets to trade from and Bolton are panicking as a flag ship store Prestons is a real brand.
Not heard of the 480 which operates through Bradshaw? Operated by Rossendale Transport (trading as Russo) and operates hourly Monday to Saturday.
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keithyno.1[/bold] wrote: Let's face it, the WHOLE of Bolton town centre is one big dilapidated, run-down ****hole isn't it, so why the big story here together with all the comments about one particular property out of dozens and dozens, quite frankly amazes me. I live in Blackrod, and I avoid Bolton town centre at all costs if I can help it - if I need the facilities of a town centre I'd much sooner gomto Wigan or even Chorley. And for those living on the eastern side of the town, I can totally understand why they would choose to go to Bury. The article refers to Keith Davies, Bolton Council’s "director of development and regeneration." How is this man still in a job? Under his watch, rather than being regenerated, Bolton town centre has suffered a long, slow terminal decline to,the point of near-death. It's surely time for him to go and for someone else to be given a chance in the job...they couldn't do any worse!![/p][/quote]Well said people in the Brashaw ward want a direct bus service to Bury they are so hacked of with the scruffy depression option Bolton has to offer. No big christmas wheel will change the substance of a location. I can bet Prestons have threatened Mr Davies now they have alternative outlets to trade from and Bolton are panicking as a flag ship store Prestons is a real brand.[/p][/quote]Not heard of the 480 which operates through Bradshaw? Operated by Rossendale Transport (trading as Russo) and operates hourly Monday to Saturday. BWFC71

8:30am Tue 17 Dec 13

Albinosupport says...

serendipity2 wrote:
serendipity2 wrote:
Malcolm Tucker wrote:
serendipity2 wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........
One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.
Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..
BL3 Deane road enterance to the town Centre has a high percentage of ethenic diversity and the council lavish money on projects to tidy it up to improve the area ! Where as in the BL2 Bank Street enterance to town the council have are no real plan the Church wharf development has been talked about for 30 years has no start date unlike all the other developments.

.
Not so, there is a boarded up shop on the junction of college way and deane road that has been in that state for over 12 months, and the club just up the road is empty and looking worse for wear as is the disused empty factory at the bottom of Deane Road.
[quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Malcolm Tucker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]serendipity2[/bold] wrote: So why hav they not made Bank street taxis clean up their property, Oh fads diy on Gret Moor Street the slum look for over 20 years Mr Davies too little far too late. The whole of Bradshawgate is a slum does this policy apply to all redundant premises in the town centre..... Why is this one being singled out for special attention while the rest have been left to rot. Its a disgrace I feel sorry for Prestons of Bolton & their customers buying high end products in a slum area of town. Mind you Prestons is on the none ethnic area of town so no need to try to win voters hearts and minds. Bolton Council is a disgrace unless your on the asylum seekers dispersal list........[/p][/quote]One of the most ridiculous posts ever. For whatever reason, the Council has decided to take action against this particular property, but that fact that its taking action against ANY absent and arrogant shop owner is good news. The Council should take action, where it can, against all eyesores that the owners refuse to maintain, but by your argument, unless it does them all - it shouldn't do any! You then say that Prestons is in the non ethnic area of town (whatever the hell that means!) and therefore there is no need to win votes. If that's the case, no action would be taken at all, because by your argument improving things for the non-ethnic shoppers doesn't matter? I for one say - Good Luck in court Bolton Council - I hope you screw them and I hope this is one of many.[/p][/quote]Rollocks ! Bank Street has had no investment for 40 years plus the mythical development has not been a priotity, the car parks are on edwin pee lees demolition site is a disgrace using partially demolished walls as fronting as is the one at the bottom of Bank street the old provine factory. I stand by my comment that Bolton Council has spent millions on or near BL3 side of town yet neglected BL2 side..[/p][/quote]BL3 Deane road enterance to the town Centre has a high percentage of ethenic diversity and the council lavish money on projects to tidy it up to improve the area ! Where as in the BL2 Bank Street enterance to town the council have are no real plan the Church wharf development has been talked about for 30 years has no start date unlike all the other developments. .[/p][/quote]Not so, there is a boarded up shop on the junction of college way and deane road that has been in that state for over 12 months, and the club just up the road is empty and looking worse for wear as is the disused empty factory at the bottom of Deane Road. Albinosupport

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree