Commuters cram onto reduced Bolton train

This Is Lancashire: Commuters crowding onto a Bolton-bound train this morning Commuters crowding onto a Bolton-bound train this morning

THIS morning commuters packed onto a reduced morning train to Manchester and were joined by our reporter Liam Thorp.

IF I was to describe my Monday morning journey between Bolton and Manchester in a nutshell, I would say that it was not pleasant — it was cramped and uncomfortable, but it could have been a lot worse.

I was due to catch the 8.08am train from Bolton and as I stepped on to the platform I was preparing for chaotic scenes. There were a lot of people on the platform but I didn’t fear for my safety.

Commuters had been fearful after learning that the key First TransPennine Express service that calls at Bolton at 8.08am en route to Manchester, would be halving in size — from six carriages to just three.

The firm has explained how it has been urging people travelling from Preston and Wigan to change their habits and travel on a newly electrified line to Manchester.

This would avoid the Bolton-bound commuter train — and I would suggest that on this evidence, quite a number of people had heeded this advice. That being said, I only just squeezed on to the train and the entire carriage was full of people standing in the aisles.

I spoke to commuter Derek Beames, from Morris Green, who said that while this Monday morning was not as bad as he had feared, his daily commute is always an unpleasant one.

He said: “It’s always bad, and it is like this every day — you don’t need this at the start of the working week.

“Reducing this service is not the answer, we want to be encouraging more people to get on trains and these types of journeys won’t do that.”

During our Let’s Get Back On Track campaign, many commuters have asked why spare diesel trains, no longer needed on the newly electrified lines, could not be used to expand struggling services coming through Bolton.

But a spokesperson for FTPE said this is not possible, adding: “While we will physically have more trains, the Government policy which enabled us to procure these additional units means that we have a responsibility to deliver 50 per cent of the Department for Transport’s capacity improvement programme for the north of England.

“This means that the released units from the North West will be deployed to increase capacity between Man-chester and Leeds.”

The Lets Get Back on Track campaign wants to see additional carriages added to peak-time services coming through Bolton in order to help commuters who say they have been struggling with conditions for years, to support our campaign. Simply sign the petition which is in our town centre office.

Alternatively, you can download your own petition (Let’s Get Back on Track petition.pdf) and collect signatures, or you can sign online. Return signed petitions to Let’s Get Back On Track, Editorial Department, The Bolton News, The Wellsprings, Civic Centre, Bolton, BL1 1AR.

See tweets from my journey below...

08.15 Currently on board a now reduced commuter train from Bolton to Manchester, packed, nearly didn't get on.

08.18 People standing all through the carriage, very warm and not a pleasant start to the week for workers.

This Is Lancashire:

08.21 Derek Beames from Morris Green says "it's always like this, you don't need it at the start of the working week".

This Is Lancashire:

08.23 Train only stopping at Manchester Oxford Road, one passenger didnt know and will now have to dash across the city.

08.25 Our Let's Get Back on Track campaign wants to see more peak time carriages calling at Bolton and less scenes like this.

This Is Lancashire:

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:31am Mon 9 Dec 13

MarkAllRead says...

Let me get this right, the trains are utterly packed, so the BN thought it appropriate to send a reporter on a needless journey to Manchester to see what it's like?! Fair play for him interviewing people on the platform, but getting on the train?!
Let me get this right, the trains are utterly packed, so the BN thought it appropriate to send a reporter on a needless journey to Manchester to see what it's like?! Fair play for him interviewing people on the platform, but getting on the train?! MarkAllRead

10:52am Mon 9 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

Over the last 20-years the rail industry has profited to the tune of hundreds of billions, yet we have a service tad amount to that of the Calcutta Lines.

The government have spewed their dross about the need to go green and leave cars at home yet it is much cheaper and often more convenient to use our cars and less cramped.

The amount of money made from rail commuters is extortionate, the fact of the matter is the culture of huge bonuses and share payouts have ruined our nations once proud rail industry and infrastructure.

Someone needs a kick up the backside, this is not just an extortion racket but a blinking crime.

How about we the people just didn't get on a train and protest on the platforms instead for a week?
Over the last 20-years the rail industry has profited to the tune of hundreds of billions, yet we have a service tad amount to that of the Calcutta Lines. The government have spewed their dross about the need to go green and leave cars at home yet it is much cheaper and often more convenient to use our cars and less cramped. The amount of money made from rail commuters is extortionate, the fact of the matter is the culture of huge bonuses and share payouts have ruined our nations once proud rail industry and infrastructure. Someone needs a kick up the backside, this is not just an extortion racket but a blinking crime. How about we the people just didn't get on a train and protest on the platforms instead for a week? Beyond News Forum

11:55am Mon 9 Dec 13

JJKBolton says...

SLIGHT CORRECTION FOLKS - This isn't an extortion racket and it isn't a blinking crime.


BECAUSE THIS AND PREVIOUS GOVERNMENTS AND COUNCILLORS HAVE SANCTIONED AND AGREE WITH THIS SET UP IN PARLIAMENT,


THIS IS A LEGALISED EXTORTION RACKET, JUST LIKE CAR INSURANCE
SLIGHT CORRECTION FOLKS - This isn't an extortion racket and it isn't a blinking crime. BECAUSE THIS AND PREVIOUS GOVERNMENTS AND COUNCILLORS HAVE SANCTIONED AND AGREE WITH THIS SET UP IN PARLIAMENT, THIS IS A LEGALISED EXTORTION RACKET, JUST LIKE CAR INSURANCE JJKBolton

12:49pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Beyond News Forum says...

JJKBolton wrote:
SLIGHT CORRECTION FOLKS - This isn't an extortion racket and it isn't a blinking crime.


BECAUSE THIS AND PREVIOUS GOVERNMENTS AND COUNCILLORS HAVE SANCTIONED AND AGREE WITH THIS SET UP IN PARLIAMENT,


THIS IS A LEGALISED EXTORTION RACKET, JUST LIKE CAR INSURANCE
LOL... and so you think something sanctioned by political leaders and councilors could be construed as legal extortion? Even the law and politics can be illegal dude.

But I admire the fun in what you are stating. You gave me a giggle or two.
[quote][p][bold]JJKBolton[/bold] wrote: SLIGHT CORRECTION FOLKS - This isn't an extortion racket and it isn't a blinking crime. BECAUSE THIS AND PREVIOUS GOVERNMENTS AND COUNCILLORS HAVE SANCTIONED AND AGREE WITH THIS SET UP IN PARLIAMENT, THIS IS A LEGALISED EXTORTION RACKET, JUST LIKE CAR INSURANCE[/p][/quote]LOL... and so you think something sanctioned by political leaders and councilors could be construed as legal extortion? Even the law and politics can be illegal dude. But I admire the fun in what you are stating. You gave me a giggle or two. Beyond News Forum

1:39pm Mon 9 Dec 13

LittleLeverite says...

I saw that service go past Salford Crescent as I was waiting for my connection from Moses Gate to Oxford Road. It didn't look as busy as sometimes I have seen it. He should have seen the service that came along from the Wigan line. They were with face pressed against the glass of the doors. However, regular commuters like myself are used to it everyday. It beats driving into the city.
I saw that service go past Salford Crescent as I was waiting for my connection from Moses Gate to Oxford Road. It didn't look as busy as sometimes I have seen it. He should have seen the service that came along from the Wigan line. They were with face pressed against the glass of the doors. However, regular commuters like myself are used to it everyday. It beats driving into the city. LittleLeverite

1:39pm Mon 9 Dec 13

thealexweb says...

As for the person who was unaware the train would not continue to Piccadilly. It would have said on the dot matrices / tannoy system, front, sides and back of the train where its final destination was.

Also why did he walk? The train between Oxford Road and Piccadilly are very frequent e.g. every 10 mins at worst.
As for the person who was unaware the train would not continue to Piccadilly. It would have said on the dot matrices / tannoy system, front, sides and back of the train where its final destination was. Also why did he walk? The train between Oxford Road and Piccadilly are very frequent e.g. every 10 mins at worst. thealexweb

2:11pm Mon 9 Dec 13

M.I.B. says...

LittleLeverite wrote:
I saw that service go past Salford Crescent as I was waiting for my connection from Moses Gate to Oxford Road. It didn't look as busy as sometimes I have seen it. He should have seen the service that came along from the Wigan line. They were with face pressed against the glass of the doors. However, regular commuters like myself are used to it everyday. It beats driving into the city.
The sarcasm in the last line is epic.

If ever there was a better example of people being literally treated like sheep, I'd like to see it.
[quote][p][bold]LittleLeverite[/bold] wrote: I saw that service go past Salford Crescent as I was waiting for my connection from Moses Gate to Oxford Road. It didn't look as busy as sometimes I have seen it. He should have seen the service that came along from the Wigan line. They were with face pressed against the glass of the doors. However, regular commuters like myself are used to it everyday. It beats driving into the city.[/p][/quote]The sarcasm in the last line is epic. If ever there was a better example of people being literally treated like sheep, I'd like to see it. M.I.B.

2:59pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Reality50 says...

Shall i tell you the most saddening thing in this? Well it is that a town of 275,000 people can't provide enough jobs so thousands have to travel 12 miles to Mancunia for work. If Bolton had been run properly the past 20 years then there would be enough jobs HERE and then the trains would be half empty and would have no need for extra carriages.
Shall i tell you the most saddening thing in this? Well it is that a town of 275,000 people can't provide enough jobs so thousands have to travel 12 miles to Mancunia for work. If Bolton had been run properly the past 20 years then there would be enough jobs HERE and then the trains would be half empty and would have no need for extra carriages. Reality50

3:01pm Mon 9 Dec 13

BR signalman says...

19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train!
New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this.
19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train! New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this. BR signalman

3:17pm Mon 9 Dec 13

JJKBolton says...

Reality50, says about jobs in Bolton,

the sad fact is that bigger businesses buy up competitors and close down the opposition once they have stripped out the assets.

This happened to my job - the office was transferred to Manchester, I was allowed grudgingly to join them in some god forsaken concrete office box and within 18 months all our original work had been suffocated out of existence and I was made redundant.

So thanks very much grabbing Manchester and due to parasitic job agencies and ageism, I dont hold out much prospect of finding a new job any time soon.
Reality50, says about jobs in Bolton, the sad fact is that bigger businesses buy up competitors and close down the opposition once they have stripped out the assets. This happened to my job - the office was transferred to Manchester, I was allowed grudgingly to join them in some god forsaken concrete office box and within 18 months all our original work had been suffocated out of existence and I was made redundant. So thanks very much grabbing Manchester and due to parasitic job agencies and ageism, I dont hold out much prospect of finding a new job any time soon. JJKBolton

3:33pm Mon 9 Dec 13

JJKBolton says...

BR signalman wrote:
19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train!
New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this.
We cant have the government running public transport without WHITE ELEPHANTS can we?,

and there's no guarantee the buses will actually use the new interchange either, and that's after being forced to pay for it through national and local government taxation, dosent anybody get it - this town cant cope without WHITE ELEPHANTS.

A challenge to Stagecoach / First Group / Arriva etc to categorically state and guarantee in the Bolton News columns that that they will actually use the new facility that we the public are being forced to pay for and not skive off somewhere on a more convenient route for the operator. Im not holding my breath especially with First Group.
[quote][p][bold]BR signalman[/bold] wrote: 19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train! New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this.[/p][/quote]We cant have the government running public transport without WHITE ELEPHANTS can we?, and there's no guarantee the buses will actually use the new interchange either, and that's after being forced to pay for it through national and local government taxation, dosent anybody get it - this town cant cope without WHITE ELEPHANTS. A challenge to Stagecoach / First Group / Arriva etc to categorically state and guarantee in the Bolton News columns that that they will actually use the new facility that we the public are being forced to pay for and not skive off somewhere on a more convenient route for the operator. Im not holding my breath especially with First Group. JJKBolton

4:40pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Browny91 says...

Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad?
Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad? Browny91

4:49pm Mon 9 Dec 13

JJKBolton says...

Browny91 wrote:
Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad?
How many people these days can afford the luxury of having a car "on standby" just in case they dont want to use a train ?????

these people must be being overpaid
[quote][p][bold]Browny91[/bold] wrote: Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad?[/p][/quote]How many people these days can afford the luxury of having a car "on standby" just in case they dont want to use a train ????? these people must be being overpaid JJKBolton

4:50pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Reality50 says...

I remember in the late 70's 80's and early 90's when just as much traffic headed INTO Bolton in the morning rush hour than left it. It wasn't uncommon for Manchester Road to see traffic jams and same with Blackburn Road with people driving to work in town and buses full to the brim taking people to work or the shops. Nowadays it seems most people escape Bolton in the morning rush hour. Sadly as i have stated before in other posts,Bolton scandalously is now becoming a dormitory town of Manchester. YES the biggest town in England is now a dormitory town for a city down the road. As a town we were meant to hold our own and employ our own. Sadly while Manchester has progressed hugely in the last 20 years due to excessive investment,we in Bolton have become a backwater. Who is to blame? The council partly but central government and big business too. We as a town are punching way below our weight these days and it is such a shame the drain of employment heads south to Manchester while Bolton declines to the point of no return.
I remember in the late 70's 80's and early 90's when just as much traffic headed INTO Bolton in the morning rush hour than left it. It wasn't uncommon for Manchester Road to see traffic jams and same with Blackburn Road with people driving to work in town and buses full to the brim taking people to work or the shops. Nowadays it seems most people escape Bolton in the morning rush hour. Sadly as i have stated before in other posts,Bolton scandalously is now becoming a dormitory town of Manchester. YES the biggest town in England is now a dormitory town for a city down the road. As a town we were meant to hold our own and employ our own. Sadly while Manchester has progressed hugely in the last 20 years due to excessive investment,we in Bolton have become a backwater. Who is to blame? The council partly but central government and big business too. We as a town are punching way below our weight these days and it is such a shame the drain of employment heads south to Manchester while Bolton declines to the point of no return. Reality50

5:05pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Frogger123 says...

These last couple of weeks People are travelling earlier as they can't face the 8.08 (now reduced to 3 carriages) and the 8.12 total misery / getting left behind at the platform / crushing & pushing to get on. I know this as I am going an hour earlier on the 7.08 which is ridiculous as I don't need to be in Manchester that early but I'm fed up of not getting on the 8.08 or 8.12 and then being late. It's having a knock on effect as the 7.08 7.12 and 7.35 are getting busier and it's a struggle to board these early trains sometimes. Keep complaining on Facebook / twitter and tweeting pictures of overcrowding. Keep the level of noise up about discontent regarding this matter!!
These last couple of weeks People are travelling earlier as they can't face the 8.08 (now reduced to 3 carriages) and the 8.12 total misery / getting left behind at the platform / crushing & pushing to get on. I know this as I am going an hour earlier on the 7.08 which is ridiculous as I don't need to be in Manchester that early but I'm fed up of not getting on the 8.08 or 8.12 and then being late. It's having a knock on effect as the 7.08 7.12 and 7.35 are getting busier and it's a struggle to board these early trains sometimes. Keep complaining on Facebook / twitter and tweeting pictures of overcrowding. Keep the level of noise up about discontent regarding this matter!! Frogger123

6:30pm Mon 9 Dec 13

hazdbfs says...

Have only had cause to use trains three times in the past six months. Never, ever again. Why would I pay for the pleasure of being crammed, shoved and jostled? I was speaking to a lady (couldn't help but speak to her as our faces were only two inches apart) and she said she pays over £1500 per year to travel to work every day in this manner. I don't know what the answer is, but I think the way that people are crammed in is an accident waiting to happen.
Have only had cause to use trains three times in the past six months. Never, ever again. Why would I pay for the pleasure of being crammed, shoved and jostled? I was speaking to a lady (couldn't help but speak to her as our faces were only two inches apart) and she said she pays over £1500 per year to travel to work every day in this manner. I don't know what the answer is, but I think the way that people are crammed in is an accident waiting to happen. hazdbfs

8:08pm Mon 9 Dec 13

127001 says...

when the new interchange is built - will we still see the same number of train carriages or will they be increased? Or just another white elephant.

£45m is a lot of money.
when the new interchange is built - will we still see the same number of train carriages or will they be increased? Or just another white elephant. £45m is a lot of money. 127001

8:11pm Mon 9 Dec 13

adatherton says...

Great photography, should win an award.
Great photography, should win an award. adatherton

10:19pm Mon 9 Dec 13

BWFC71 says...

Nederlandse Spoorwegen (50% owner of Northern Rail) has about 15 electric train units going spare since the Government halted the "Fyra" experiment. Therefore why can't NS lend those rains to First TPE and then First TPE could lend their diesel trains to Northern Rail to increase capacity on the Bolton route only!!!
Nederlandse Spoorwegen (50% owner of Northern Rail) has about 15 electric train units going spare since the Government halted the "Fyra" experiment. Therefore why can't NS lend those rains to First TPE and then First TPE could lend their diesel trains to Northern Rail to increase capacity on the Bolton route only!!! BWFC71

10:41pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Its not a joke says...

I must say Bolton train station was pretty quiet this morning, usually queues are out of the door to the under staffed ticket counters on a Monday morning...
If the reporter wants to see crowded then join us on the 7.53 Hall i th Wood train to Bolton, only a few weeks ago one person fainted twice within 5 minutes due to the over crowding.. If that train runs very late as it often does then it isn't unusual for people to be left standing on the platform at Hall i th Wood
I must say Bolton train station was pretty quiet this morning, usually queues are out of the door to the under staffed ticket counters on a Monday morning... If the reporter wants to see crowded then join us on the 7.53 Hall i th Wood train to Bolton, only a few weeks ago one person fainted twice within 5 minutes due to the over crowding.. If that train runs very late as it often does then it isn't unusual for people to be left standing on the platform at Hall i th Wood Its not a joke

10:44pm Mon 9 Dec 13

BWFC71 says...

Its not a joke wrote:
I must say Bolton train station was pretty quiet this morning, usually queues are out of the door to the under staffed ticket counters on a Monday morning...
If the reporter wants to see crowded then join us on the 7.53 Hall i th Wood train to Bolton, only a few weeks ago one person fainted twice within 5 minutes due to the over crowding.. If that train runs very late as it often does then it isn't unusual for people to be left standing on the platform at Hall i th Wood
That s the 0759 from Bolton which is often late and normally arrives between 8 and 15 minutes late at Salford Central!!!

I totally concur with what you say and seen people faint many times on our trains!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Its not a joke[/bold] wrote: I must say Bolton train station was pretty quiet this morning, usually queues are out of the door to the under staffed ticket counters on a Monday morning... If the reporter wants to see crowded then join us on the 7.53 Hall i th Wood train to Bolton, only a few weeks ago one person fainted twice within 5 minutes due to the over crowding.. If that train runs very late as it often does then it isn't unusual for people to be left standing on the platform at Hall i th Wood[/p][/quote]That s the 0759 from Bolton which is often late and normally arrives between 8 and 15 minutes late at Salford Central!!! I totally concur with what you say and seen people faint many times on our trains!!!! BWFC71

10:51pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Its not a joke says...

Bolton station was quieter than usual on a Monday morning, usually the queues to the under staffed ticket office are out of the door..
If the reporter wants to see over crowded then head off to Hall i th Wood station, and join the 7.53 to Bolton/Victoria, It is that bad that the other week one guy fainted twice within the short journey, luckily enough the people who faint don't generally hurt themselves as they just slide down the back of someone as there is no room to fall.. If the reporter is unable to make that train then join either the 5.20 or 5.44 out of Bolton.. Manners go out of the window, you push or shove your way on to the train to get to work or home again.. I do feel sorry for people on the 8.08 but feel that staff at Preston need to be moving their passengers onto the alternative service that now goes direct down the main line..
Bolton station was quieter than usual on a Monday morning, usually the queues to the under staffed ticket office are out of the door.. If the reporter wants to see over crowded then head off to Hall i th Wood station, and join the 7.53 to Bolton/Victoria, It is that bad that the other week one guy fainted twice within the short journey, luckily enough the people who faint don't generally hurt themselves as they just slide down the back of someone as there is no room to fall.. If the reporter is unable to make that train then join either the 5.20 or 5.44 out of Bolton.. Manners go out of the window, you push or shove your way on to the train to get to work or home again.. I do feel sorry for people on the 8.08 but feel that staff at Preston need to be moving their passengers onto the alternative service that now goes direct down the main line.. Its not a joke

11:41pm Mon 9 Dec 13

Browny91 says...

JJKBolton wrote:
Browny91 wrote:
Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad?
How many people these days can afford the luxury of having a car "on standby" just in case they dont want to use a train ?????

these people must be being overpaid
Actually I think you will find that the majority of these people DO have a car but choose to travel by train in a bid to miss both the traffic and hefty parking fees in Manchester.
[quote][p][bold]JJKBolton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Browny91[/bold] wrote: Maybe some commuters decided to drive into work to avoid scenes like this, hence why it wasn't too bad?[/p][/quote]How many people these days can afford the luxury of having a car "on standby" just in case they dont want to use a train ????? these people must be being overpaid[/p][/quote]Actually I think you will find that the majority of these people DO have a car but choose to travel by train in a bid to miss both the traffic and hefty parking fees in Manchester. Browny91

7:32am Tue 10 Dec 13

oftbewildered2 says...

thealexweb wrote:
As for the person who was unaware the train would not continue to Piccadilly. It would have said on the dot matrices / tannoy system, front, sides and back of the train where its final destination was.

Also why did he walk? The train between Oxford Road and Piccadilly are very frequent e.g. every 10 mins at worst.
dot matrices are all very well for those who are not visually impaired and quite often the tannoy system is so distorted you cannot make out what is being said, especially if you do not experience it on a regular basis.
[quote][p][bold]thealexweb[/bold] wrote: As for the person who was unaware the train would not continue to Piccadilly. It would have said on the dot matrices / tannoy system, front, sides and back of the train where its final destination was. Also why did he walk? The train between Oxford Road and Piccadilly are very frequent e.g. every 10 mins at worst.[/p][/quote]dot matrices are all very well for those who are not visually impaired and quite often the tannoy system is so distorted you cannot make out what is being said, especially if you do not experience it on a regular basis. oftbewildered2

8:46am Tue 10 Dec 13

The Righteous One says...

plus those dot matrices are not often updated with the correct information - perfect example is the 0759 which states ontime although the time is 0805!
plus those dot matrices are not often updated with the correct information - perfect example is the 0759 which states ontime although the time is 0805! The Righteous One

9:46am Tue 10 Dec 13

heaton watcher says...

Reality50 wrote:
Shall i tell you the most saddening thing in this? Well it is that a town of 275,000 people can't provide enough jobs so thousands have to travel 12 miles to Mancunia for work. If Bolton had been run properly the past 20 years then there would be enough jobs HERE and then the trains would be half empty and would have no need for extra carriages.
Yes, it's all that Cliff Morris's fault, isn't it?!
[quote][p][bold]Reality50[/bold] wrote: Shall i tell you the most saddening thing in this? Well it is that a town of 275,000 people can't provide enough jobs so thousands have to travel 12 miles to Mancunia for work. If Bolton had been run properly the past 20 years then there would be enough jobs HERE and then the trains would be half empty and would have no need for extra carriages.[/p][/quote]Yes, it's all that Cliff Morris's fault, isn't it?! heaton watcher

2:36pm Tue 10 Dec 13

thealexweb says...

BR signalman wrote:
19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train!
New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this.
Another electric train arrived last week. Another is due to arrive next week. For now they have 350401 and 350402.
[quote][p][bold]BR signalman[/bold] wrote: 19 TP trains go via Wigan North-Western, not Chorley and Bolton, any-more. This is because of the new electrification over Chat Moss. But, TP have only one electric-train! New timetable: less TP Express-trains for Bolton (19) and a new bus-train interchange to reflect this.[/p][/quote]Another electric train arrived last week. Another is due to arrive next week. For now they have 350401 and 350402. thealexweb

7:01pm Tue 10 Dec 13

atlas123 says...

Realistically I think that the price is a fair deal.

IIRC the Peak Manchester Return from Bromley Cross is about £8.

I think that's about what it would cost in my car* just to get there, let alone parking etc.

Value wise you can't whack it.

What is shocking is this

Government Spending
Spending per head on Transport (2011/12)
London - £2,731
South-east of England - £792
Scotland - £519
East Midlands - £311
West Midlands - £269
Yorkshire and Humberside - £201
North-west of England - £134
Eastern England - £43
South-west of England - £19
North-east of England - £5


* Car does realistically 50mpg - I wouldnt get that staggering along the A666/M60/M602/A6 etc , insurance is about 80p a day.
Realistically I think that the price is a fair deal. IIRC the Peak Manchester Return from Bromley Cross is about £8. I think that's about what it would cost in my car* just to get there, let alone parking etc. Value wise you can't whack it. What is shocking is this Government Spending Spending per head on Transport (2011/12) London - £2,731 South-east of England - £792 Scotland - £519 East Midlands - £311 West Midlands - £269 Yorkshire and Humberside - £201 North-west of England - £134 Eastern England - £43 South-west of England - £19 North-east of England - £5 * Car does realistically 50mpg - I wouldnt get that staggering along the A666/M60/M602/A6 etc , insurance is about 80p a day. atlas123

12:27am Wed 11 Dec 13

By George says...

As long as the capitalist have a free hand they will not invest in additional rolling stock because the current right wing government is working hand in hand with them, Nationalise the lot we did it in 1947 this time don't pay out to the shareholders, why have we no coal industry? Why have we no shipbuilding, why have we no manufacturing industry in general, because the capitalist have invested abroad into cheap labour, office jobs now all based in Manchester no demand in Bolton.
As long as the capitalist have a free hand they will not invest in additional rolling stock because the current right wing government is working hand in hand with them, Nationalise the lot we did it in 1947 this time don't pay out to the shareholders, why have we no coal industry? Why have we no shipbuilding, why have we no manufacturing industry in general, because the capitalist have invested abroad into cheap labour, office jobs now all based in Manchester no demand in Bolton. By George

8:54am Wed 11 Dec 13

The Righteous One says...

By George wrote:
As long as the capitalist have a free hand they will not invest in additional rolling stock because the current right wing government is working hand in hand with them, Nationalise the lot we did it in 1947 this time don't pay out to the shareholders, why have we no coal industry? Why have we no shipbuilding, why have we no manufacturing industry in general, because the capitalist have invested abroad into cheap labour, office jobs now all based in Manchester no demand in Bolton.
Not quite true as Northern do want to buy new rolling stock (via Angel or other train leasing comapnies) but it is the Government that is keeping to the franchise contract and saying NO!

The Franchise contract, when it was signed under Labour, specified that Northern were not allowed to have any other rolling stock, apart from those given to them by teh Department for Trasnport and that they could not buy/lease other rolling stock without the spoecific approval from DfT!
[quote][p][bold]By George[/bold] wrote: As long as the capitalist have a free hand they will not invest in additional rolling stock because the current right wing government is working hand in hand with them, Nationalise the lot we did it in 1947 this time don't pay out to the shareholders, why have we no coal industry? Why have we no shipbuilding, why have we no manufacturing industry in general, because the capitalist have invested abroad into cheap labour, office jobs now all based in Manchester no demand in Bolton.[/p][/quote]Not quite true as Northern do want to buy new rolling stock (via Angel or other train leasing comapnies) but it is the Government that is keeping to the franchise contract and saying NO! The Franchise contract, when it was signed under Labour, specified that Northern were not allowed to have any other rolling stock, apart from those given to them by teh Department for Trasnport and that they could not buy/lease other rolling stock without the spoecific approval from DfT! The Righteous One

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree