Firework sparks Burnley kitchen fire
A COUPLE fled their terraced home after a firework set fire to the roof.
The incident, in Coal Clough Lane, Burnley, took firefighters 90 minutes to bring under control.
Nobody was injured in the blaze, which comes on the back of two fatal house fires in the area in the past week.
Firefighters said they believed the firework was set off nearby, about 10 minutes before they were called at 9.35pm on Thursday.
They did not rule out the possibility that it was let off by the people who lived there.
Neighbours said they did not hear any prolonged setting off of fireworks on Thursday night and that the incident was a one-off.
The tenants of the house were not in yesterday (FRI) but the landlord, who did not give his name, said insurance inspectors were surveying the damage.
Assistant watch manager David Robinson, from Burnley fire station, said two crews were called.
He said: “A fire was discovered by the occupants of the property within the roof void of a single storey kitchen extension.
“Firefighters contained and extinguished the fire utilising ladders, hose reel jets and thermal image cameras.
“The cause of the fire is being linked to a firework that was set off in close proximity to the kitchen approximately 10 minutes prior to the incident.
“Firefighters were engaged for approximately 90 minutes ensuring the fire was extinguished and protecting exposed areas of roof void from further potential damage caused by the weather.”
A tarpaulin sheet was used to cover the moderate damage to the roof and a burnt-out curtain rail was discarded in the back yard.
Mr Robinson added: “Members of the public can buy and set off most of the fireworks that come under categories one to three.
“These are fireworks that include those that you can use indoors, in your garden or at a display.
“Always read the packet carefully and make sure that the fireworks you buy are suitable for the place where you are going to set them off.”
Comments are closed on this article.