7-year-old girl undergoes surgery after nightdress fire horror
A SEVEN-year-old girl has undergone surgery after suffering severe burns when her nightdress caught fire.
Zainab Aziz is described as being in a stable condition in Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital, where she is expected to stay for two months.
The incident, which is being treated as an accident, happened when the girl was standing close to a gas fire — which had a guard — at her family’s home in Settle Street, Great Lever, on Tuesday morning.
She was taken by ambulance to the children’s hospital where she was admitted to the burns unit with around 20 per cent burns to the body, mainly the stomach area.
Her uncle Ibrar Aziz, who has been at the hospital with the youngster’s father Sharaz Aziz and other members of the family, said: “She is a lot better and out of the critical stage and is talking, but she still feels aches and pains.
“There is still a lot to do and she will be hospital for two months.
“The fire service and ambulance were great, they were very sympathetic.
“Only her parents are allowed to see her and the other three children are being looked after by their grandma. The family are staying with her at the hospital.”
The fire service were due to speak with residents in the area to offer safety advice and will be working with Bolton Council of Mosques (BCoM) to reassure the community and give advice about the dangers of standing too close to fires.”
Mohammed Ayub, a local councillor and close family friend a member of the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “I support what the fire service is doing in the community.
“I have known the family for many years and have spoken to the father. I will do what I can to support the fire service to get the safety message to people.”
Imteyaz Ali, secretary of BCoM, said: “We fully support what the fire service want to do.
“We support any authority who wants to work with us within the community to get messages out there.”
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said they are treating the fire as an accident and that the girl is in hospital in a stable condition.
Comments are closed on this article.