VIDEO: Bomb disposal experts called after explosive acid found in home near school (From This Is Lancashire)
VIDEO: Bomb disposal experts called after explosive acid found in home near school
A BOMB disposal squad had to evacuate homes and carry out a controlled explosion close to a primary school after dangerous and potentially explosive acid was found in a home.
Video by Callum Simpson, aged 12, from Archer Lane, Tonge Moor
Clearers, who were removing items from a man’s home following his death, called the fire brigade, who alerted the bomb specialists.
Roads around the site were cordoned off and pupils at Moorgate Primary School were kept inside with the roller shutters down until 3.30pm when they were evacuated.
Students were in tears following the discovery.
One pupil, who cannot be named, said: "We were just told that a chemical or bomb had been found in the house.
“Everyone was crying at first. We were supposed to have an activities afternoon on the field but instead we stayed in and did some drawing.”
The odourless, crystalline solid is used as a military explosive, an antiseptic or for developing film.
It is legal — but no longer used — and rapid heating can cause it to explode.
Bomb disposal teams cut a hole in the fence next to the school playing fields and placed sandbags on the grass before transferring the substance from the property to the sandbags.
Pupils at the school were kept inside with the roller shutters down until 3.30pm when they were evacuated.
The explosion, which happened just after 4pm, could be heard from as far as Crompton Way.
One mother, of a nine-year-old pupil at the school, who asked not to be named, said: “I wasn’t worried. The police and army were dealing with it. I knew they were safe in there.”
Police and fire officers arrived at the scene and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team were called out to examine the jar.
People were allowed back into their homes following the controlled explosion.
A police spokesman said: “Greater Manchester Police would like to thank the public for their co-operation.”
Moorgate Primary remained open until the usual closing time of 3.30pm, with pupils kept safe inside.
Headteacher Deborah Hopwood said: “After school clubs did not run. All parents of children who were attending after school clubs have been contacted and are collecting children as normal. There are currently road closures of 100m around the school.”
Sean Harris, chief executive of Bolton Council, added: “We are pleased that this incident has been successfully dealt with.
“We worked closely with the school and the emergency services to handle the incident.
“We hope that the residents and pupils will now be able to return to normality.”
Comments are closed on this article.