'Town's hidden 'treasures' fling open their doors
LANDMARKS across Bolton opened their doors to people as part of a national Heritage Open Days event.
The annual event saw eight of the town’s hidden treasures invite the public to look around and learn more about the buildings for free.
Those taking part included Bolton Parish Church, St Andrew and St George United Reformed Church in St George’s Road, Bank Street Chapel in Crown Street, Holy Trinity Church in Horwich, All Saints’ Church in Chapel Fields Lane, Hindley, Bolton Seam Museum in Mornington Road, Hall ‘th’ Wood Museum in Green Way and Bolton Little Theatre in Hanover Street.
Members of Bolton Little Theatre scoured through their archives and carried out research in Bolton Library to unearth information about the building’s history.
Frances Clemmitt, a member secretary and box office co-ordinator, said: “Finding the maps of theoriginal plans for Bolton Little Theatre was one of the most exciting things, just imagining the people who found the building and stated the renovations.
“It was a foundry and the previous owners had a boxing stadium here.
During the war the building was used to store sugar.
“When the theatre was founded there were nearly 1,000 members but they were ticket members.
“People are fascinated to learn about its history as people take it for granted when they look around.”
The theatre opened its doors in Hanover Street in 1934.
The first play held was Transit of Venue. A group of thespians formed a drama group in 1931 and later secured the building.
Sir Ian McKellen was a former member of the group and returned to perform for its 75th anniversary in 2006.
Bolton Little Theatre’s Heritage Open Day continued into the evening on Saturday when the production Out of Order, A Farce By Ray Cooney started.
Comments are closed on this article.