Burning food set off Chorley smoke alarm
8:00am Saturday 7th September 2013 in News
A house fire was started when the occupant fell asleep after putting a pan of pasta on the hob to cook, firefighters said.
A 50-year-old man had to be rescued from the terraced house, in Lorne Street, Chorley, at around 4.50am on Sunday by the crews, who were alerted to the blaze by neighbours who had heard the smoke alarm sound.
Crew manager Dave Williams said it was lucky that the pasta did not give off too much smoke. He said: “When we arrived, we could see through the letter box that there was smoke in the property, so we broke the door in.
“There was a gentleman asleep on the settee. He had come home and started cooking some pasta and then gone and sat down and fell asleep.”
“His smoke alarm went off and a neighbour heard it.
“The man was absolutely fine and he required no further medical assistance.”
Comments are closed on this article.