Socket overload sparked Nelson bedroom blaze
A BLAZE that started due to overloaded sockets gutted a bedroom in Nelson.
Two people escaped from the terraced house in Glenfield Street after numerous power tools sparked a fire which quickly escalated due to the presence of nearby flammable objects.
Fire crews have put out a call for people to ensure that they do not overload sockets and ensure that working smoke alarms are fitted in homes.
It is thought that a pile of books next to the tools acted as kindling for the flames, leading to severe fire and smoke damage to the room.
Two fire engines attended the incident which took half an hour to contain.
The couple suffered from slight smoke inhalation during the incident which happened at 4.10pm on Wednesday but did not need to be taken to hospital for treatment.
Watch manager Tony Clough said: “People need to be very careful when using appliances in their home and check that they do not overload sockets and extension cables. Placing flammable objects close to the sockets further increases the risk of fire so common sense should be used.
“We would also urge people to check that they have smoke alarms installed in their property both upstairs and down so that in the event of an emergency they will be alerted more quickly to a fire which will minimise the damage and risk to lives.”
Comments are closed on this article.