Snow in Bolton: latest weather reports
9:54am Friday 18th January 2013 in News
This live event has finished
- Met Office warns that between 10cm to 15cm of snow could fall today with the risk of 25cm or more in higher ground.
- Snow is falling in parts of Bolton.
- No problems have been reported on rail services.
- Parklee Community School in Wardour Street in Atherton has closed the nursery section due to a heating problem. Church Road Primary School in Smithills and St Mary's School in Horwich are both closing.
- Bolton Council gritters have been drafted out to areas most impacted by the snow, including Belmont Road and Scout Road.
- Most of the country is affected by snow today, with those particularly at risk of snowfall and blizzards including parts of North West England, Wales and the West Midlands.
- People are being advised to be prepared to alter travel plans.
- The Met Office has issued an amber warning for Bolton which means people need to be prepared for the weather and take steps to change plans.
- The maximum temperature will be -1°C and will drop to -2°C, but with the wind, the temperature in the town could feel as cold as -8°C at 3pm.
The snow closed the Uni of Bolton down at 12:00, & since then its stopped snowing, must be a sign... #freetimefriendlyweather— @bwfcraig 18 January 2013
Someone give me a real life update on the snow situation in Bolton, no exaggerations, will I get from the pub to town later?!— @VickySmaczylo 18 January 2013
whats the snow like in bolton????— @jakeweston95 18 January 2013
Photo: Obligatory snow post all the way from the Lancashire hills in bolton ( uk ) it’s been snowing all... http://t.co/Fp53vZYe— @sophiralou 18 January 2013
Not a fan of this Bolton blizzard...can't be bothered with this snow at all #gohomesnow— @devildonkey142 18 January 2013
Safe to say that the snow has arrived in Bolton #snow #flakes #bolton #snowday #blizzard http://t.co/AWyTH2Gn— @LauraECross 18 January 2013
RT @Thomashill4: @BoltonFM The snow is quiet heavily, I'm in the town centre of BOLTON.— @saeedatcha 18 January 2013
RT @JessicaBell_BN: Several schools are closing in Bolton due to snow - includes St Mary's in Horwich and Church Road Primary. See http://t.co/lgbxcFzm— @janelavvieBN 18 January 2013
The RSPCA has been forced to cancel a drop-in session on Tuesday due to the weather - appointments made by around 30 people have been cancelled.
No problems have been reported on rail services.
Rivington Park School in Rivington Lane, Horwich, has warned parents that the school will close if heavy snow fall continues.
Parklee Community School in Wardour Street in Atherton has closed the nursery section due to a heating problem. Church Road Primary School in Smithills and St Mary's School in Horwich are both closing.
Bolton Council gritters have been drafted out to areas most impacted by the snow, including Belmont Road and Scout Road.
Heavier snowfall now. And it is starting to stick. Expect some schools to close early
RT @NeilBonnarBN: Any competitive outdoor sports determined to beat the snow in Bolton tomorrow? Let me know here or at email@example.com— @DominosBolton 18 January 2013
Snow falling again in Bolton. Doesn't look like it is sticking.
RT @shellktay: @TheBoltonNews Still falling thick and fast in Chorley :) ⛄ http://t.co/cfmcWQTK— @ChorleyChitChat 18 January 2013
Have you been affected by the snow today? Or is it just a load of fuss about nothing? Contact The Bolton News and tell us.— @julianthorpeBN 18 January 2013