Clarets to hold silence in memory of players and fans
BURNLEY Football Club is to hold a special matchday event next month to remember those players, staff and fans who have died in 2012.
Following a proposal by the Supporters’ Liaison Group, the club has designated the first game of the calendar year as an appropriate time to hold a one-minute silence in memory of loved ones.
The “In Memoriam” day will take place ahead of the Burnley v Crystal Palace game at Turf Moor on Saturday, January 12.
All names of fans received by the club will be added to the former players and staff who have passed away and displayed on the big screen ahead of the Palace game.
The names will also appear in the matchday programme.
A spokesman for the club, said: “We are inviting supporters to join the club in remembering members of the Clarets’ family who have sadly passed away this year.”
“We’d like supporters to submit the names of anyone who has passed away in 2012. and who you would like to be remembered in this moment of reflection.”
Among those honoured will be England World Cup medal winner and Clarets hero John Connelly, who died, aged 74 in October.
He played 265 games for the Clarets, scoring 104 goals and starred as Burnley clinched the Championship title in 1960.
The “in memoriam” event has been welcomed by Garry Fretwell, whose wife Janice was treasurer of the official supporters club and a dedicated fan before her death from cancer last month.
He said: “I think this is a lovely idea to remember all connected with Burnley FC who we have lost this year.
“Janice was a passionate fan of the club.
“I think something like this shows how bonded the club are with the supporters. It’s a really nice gesture.”
Those wishing for a relative to be included should e-mail the name, age and hometown of the person to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for names to be received is Wednesday, January 9.
Comments are closed on this article.