Gas leak sparks early exit at theatre
8:54am Tuesday 30th October 2012 in News
SCORES of theatregoers were evacuated from the Octagon Theatre for an hour after a gas leak.
Engineers from the National Grid had to cut the theatre’s gas supply after detecting a leak in one of the dressing rooms caused by a corroded pipe on Saturday.
Customers waiting to see the evening’s 7.30pm showing of Lighthearted Intercourse had to be evacuated from the building at 6.30pm, but were allowed back in an hour later, with the play beginning half an hour late at 8pm.
The theatre could not confirm how many people were affected but said 250 tickets had been sold for the show.
An Octagon spokesman said: “The problem was found and isolated very quickly and an evacuation was carried out by the Octagon staff while National Grid engineers attended.
“Due to the efficiency and speed with which the Octagon staff reacted to the leak, the evening performance was able to go ahead at a slightly later time.
“The gas has been reconnected and the pipe is to be replaced.
“The Octagon Theatre would like to thank all our customers for their patience on Saturday evening and apologise for the late start.”