Dad died day after routine operation
8:53am Tuesday 30th October 2012 in News
A FATHER-of-five died during an emergency operation — a day after a routine operation at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
Malcolm Cowan, aged 59, suffered a heart attack during the operation on July 12 last year.
An inquest heard he had been rushed into theatre after a major drop in his blood pressure, which was caused by a post-operative bleed.
A day earlier, Mr Cowan, of Belmont Road, Astley Bridge, had undergone an operation on his prostate.
At the Bolton inquest yesterday, Mr Cowan’s wife Annemarie said that after the first operation on July 11, he was “laughing and joking”.
But the following day at noon, she received a call to say Mr Cowan was going to be taken into theatre at 2pm.
When she arrived at the hospital an hour later, she said his condition had changed and he was “very agitated”.
He was taken to theatre for his operation and was pronounced dead at 4.20pm.
The inquest heard that Mr Cowan’s blood pressure began to drop at 11am, but he was not taken into theatre until three hours later.
Consultant Mr Hamayun Saghir had checked on Mr Cowan’s condition at 8.30am, before going to Bolton One to work on the out-patients department.
He called to check Mr Cowan’s condition at 10.30am and was told it had not altered. An on-call consultant was available in the hospital in his absence.
At 11.45am, he sent a doctor to the Royal Bolton Hospital to find out about Mr Cowan’s condition, after growing increasingly concerned. When Mr Saghir arrived at the hospital at 4pm, he discovered Mr Cowan was in cardiac arrest.
The court was told that Mr Saghir’s pager was broken and his mobile signal was unreliable in Bolton One.
When asked if he would be concerned at the drop in blood pressure and Mr Cowan’s condition, Mr Saghir said: “I think the nursing staff and doctors that were there should have contacted the on call doctor as well as the consultant that operated.”
He added that Mr Cowan should have been operated on “as quickly as possible”.
Deputy Coroner Alan Walsh adjourned the inquest to gather additional medical statements and to call two additional doctors to give evidence.
It is expected to be held in January.