Firework yobs target Burnley disabled man's house
11:30am Monday 29th October 2012 in News
ARSONISTS with fireworks have targeted the house of a disabled man.
Police said three lit fireworks were pushed through the letter box of the terrace house in Ford Street, Burnley, at 10pm on Saturday, which started a ‘slow burning fire’.
The blaze caused significant damage to a front room, which was being used as a bedroom.
Firefighters spent an hour at the blaze and have now launched an investigation with police.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The house was occupied, but the owner had moved out for a few days.
“In the meantime, someone has put a window through and thrown some quite big fireworks into the front room, which was being used as a bedroom, because the man isn’t so good on his feet.
“It was quite a serious fire — it’s wrecked the room and has smoke damaged the rest of the property.
“If the man had been in, then the consequences could have been very serious.
“People don’t realise what damage fireworks can do if they are set off in a confined space.”
DS Charlie Haynes of Burnley CID said: “Three fireworks were ignited and pushed through the letterbox, and firefighters had to force entry to get in.
“The house has since been boarded up and we are in the process of examining CCTV footage of the area, and the fireworks which were recovered from the scene.
“This had the potential to be a very serious fire as it is a terraced property.”
Anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time is asked to call Burnley CID on 01282 472240.