Find by date
Other ways to search
Also look for
Factory inferno filled air with smell of glue
BURNING glue sent noxious fumes into the night sky in Brentford this week, after a factory caught fire near the Great West Road.
The Fire Brigade were called to the single storey building on Transport Avenue, near GlaxoSmithKline's headquarters, at 7.30pm, on Tuesday, January 20.
Fire-fighters arriving at the scene were blocked from entering the factory by a locked steel roller shutter and had to call back-up for a new piece of specialist equipment known as the Rabbit Tool'.
This hydraulic gripping device can rip open such a door within a few seconds.
Once inside, fire-fighters found the space full of three metre high pallets of stacked wooden flooring set ablaze, while boiling tins of glue stored in the roof space gave out foul smelling fumes.
Crews had to use breathing equipment to fight the inferno, which had also set off alarms at the nearby pharmaceutical giant's main office.
The roof of the factory eventually collapsed due to the intensity of the flames, and it's estimated 50 per cent of the building was destroyed. Six engines attended the fire, involving over 30 fire-fighters, and crews were still damping down the flames on Wednesday morning.
A spokeswoman for the Fire Brigade said that luckily Tuesday night was damp and windy, perfect conditions for dispersing any toxic smoke.
One Brentford resident, making his way home along the Great West Road at around 9.30pm on the night said the smell was: "pretty bad, a bit like when I put my trainers too close to the electric heater."
A fire investigation unit is investigating the blaze.
In another incident last week, residents of a three-storey block of flats in Cranford had to be evacuated, after smoke was seen billowing from the building's ground floor car park.
Thirty people from Pine Tree Close, were forced to leave their homes on Sunday, January 18, at around 10.30pm, after a car caught fire.
Crews from Feltham station attended the blaze, which took under half an hour to get under control, in the residential estate off Firs Drive.
The vehicle was completely destroyed, as well as part of the car park. It is not yet known if the fire is being treated as suspicious.